Favorite Art for the Holiday Season

stlukesguild

Over on WC we often posted our favorite works of art related to Christmas and/or any of the Winter Holidays. This image just popped up on my Facebook feed and as a huge admirer of Botticelli, I couldn't believe it wasn't already in my files:

Virgin.700.jpg

This portrait of the Virgin comes from the painting, The Virgin & Child with St. John and Angel. The paintings is attributed to the studio of Botticelli... but the composition and the handling of egg tempera as well as such exquisite elements as the portrait of Mary and the angel suggests Botticelli had a large role in the creation of this painting.

mm 835.700.jpg

Barely a handful of Geertgen Tot Sint Jans' paintings survived the religious wars in the Netherlands. This Nativity has long been an absolute favorite of mine.

Correggio_-_The_Holy_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.650.jpg

Correggio is another underrated artist. His Holy Night, like Sint Jans' Nativity, makes a masterful use of light.

BeFunky_Giorgione_014.med.jpg

Giorgione was one of the most innovative painters of the Renaissance. His so-called Dresden Venus was arguably the first true nude in Western Art without a Biblical/Mythological narrative. Several of his other paintings have been called "poetries" as it seems as if the artist had invented his own narratives. Giorgione would have rivaled Titian, Bellini, and Veronese among the Venetian masters had he not died so young. For a good many years a reproduction of this Adoration of the Shepherds hung in my bedroom. I never fail to spend time with it whenever I visit the National Gallery in Washington.

12 Days of Christmas.1000.jpg

My last selection for the time being is Gennady Spirin's 12 Days of Christmas. Spirin is a marvelous illustrator known especially for his illustrations of Children's books. He was born in Russia and moved to the US with the collapse of the Soviet Union. His depiction of The Nutcracker was selected by Saks Fifth Avenue as the centerpiece of their famous Christmas display in 1997 and 1998.

how wonderful, beautiful everything you have posted,

I like the first and third so much,
Rembrandt, Kinkade,
I am reminded of Caravaggio and another painting of navità but I don't remember what it was, looking for another I like, another artist I like very much, this one from El Greco.

I know Caravaggio's work fairly well but was unfamiliar with this painting when I stumbled upon it on my Facebook feed yesterday.

Here are a few more:

e0c95a6a-df68-45a4-b26c-1459cd5086a6.700.jpg

-Federico Fiori Barocci

L'adoration_des_bergers_(La_Tour).800.jpg

-Georges de La Tour

Piero_della_Francesca_-_Nativity_-_WGA17620.700.jpg

-Piero della Francesca's Nativity has long been a favorite painting.

giottoadorationofmagi.jpg

-I could say the same of Giotto's Nativity.

The_Birth_-_Te_tamari_no_atua_Paul_Gauguin_1896.jpg

And Gauguin's "Nativity"... actually titled, ‘Te tamari no atua’ or "Child of God."

I like this for the tender way he grabs her ear. And the male pattern baldness at six months old.

wierd baby jesus.jpg

And this one, because of the way she looks at him, wondering what he is and why he's a blond. Yet she loves it anyhow and will feed it a pear. The bird has bitten off the tip of his-her finger and orange juice runs down it's face. And it must be a wrestler judging by the ear. The toes are fingers and again, there seems to be some balding going on. Just brilliant surreal horror art and an ad for why pre-natal vitamins are so important.

renaissance-babies1.jpg

Now you know why the Muslims won't allow images of Muhammad.

Last edited:
others were so extraordinary, many I did not know.
Gauguin's is very beautiful and surprising.

curious the article on children in medieval art.

Last edited:
Time to revive this thread.

0a41a6f7ca155ee55f9fbe8b5a637fd2--christmas-morning-winter-christmas.jpg

-Maxfield Parrish- Birches in Winter-Christmas Morning

tumblr_p0wsi62TWb1usnmaqo1.700.jpg

-Maxfield Parrish- Christmas Morning

Parrish painted a number of exquisite Christmas and Winter/First Snow-themed paintings that are quite exquisite. His use of color is truly unique.

The Adoration of the Magi is one of the narratives related to Christmas that has resulted in a spectacular array of marvelous paintings:

Wilton_diptych.700.jpg

The Wilton Diptych by an anonymous painter is one of the most exquisite paintings to come out of England prior to the Rococo era.

05adora.edited.750.jpg

The Adoration of the Magi by Fra Angelico and Fra Filippo Lippi is one of the paintings I never miss when visiting the National Gallery in Washington D.C.

adormag.edit.jpg

Gentile da Fabriano's Adoration of the Magi glitters with gold and patterns like a Christmas tree.

I really like the Maxfield Parrish ones.
Looks like he was influenced by Japanese art...?

Maxfield Parrish was one of the first artists I was ever into when I was like 12 years old. An older friend of mine had a big book of his work and I studied it like it was the Torah. He is THE master of light in my opinion. Next to Vermeer. (I didn't know who that was at that time.)

Back