Famous Artist Studios

William-Adolphe Bouguereau.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

William-Adolphe Bouguereau & John Singer Sargent in their studios... just the sort of studios you would imagine... and dressed just as you would imagine them dressing. It wasn't until American Art became dominant with Ab-Ex that you got the artists in paint-spattered smocks and jeans.

View attachment 41655

View attachment 41656

William-Adolphe Bouguereau & John Singer Sargent in their studios... just the sort of studios you would imagine... and dressed just as you would imagine them dressing. It wasn't until American Art became dominant with Ab-Ex that you got the artists in paint-spattered smocks and jeans.

L S Lowry compromised by painting in a suit - which he then got full of paint splatters. :)

l s lowry.jpg

Three-piece suits made of the same cloth (sometimes called 'dittos') were casual wear for the middle and upper classes in the 19th century. Lowry's just being old-fashioned. :LOL:

Some artist must have done this.......put paint all over their clothes and then do a self pressing. Like those fish imprints on rice paper.

If no one has I may found my ticket to fame. Actually I think a woman artist has done it naked. I would use a painters coverall. And get no sales. It's not fair.

I often paint in just boxers, especially in the summer. But I'm neither gender, so you can't picture what you probably are picturing. Ha ha ha! :ROFLMAO:

(I might delete this later.)

I am repeatedly impressed at how grungy, grubby, and down-right ugly so many artists’ studios can be in contrast to the work they produce there.

Back