Famous Artist Studios

I'm not sure I could even reliably stand up in it while painting. I'd step back to look and "Argh S#@&*!!"
The critic Matthew Collings once said that back in the day he was sure Bacon was flexing in front of the other artists by, like a late medieval painter using as much gold leaf and lapis lazuli as they could, using the most expensive colours such as cobalt violet and cadmium orange. (I do remember at the time cadmium orange was another price code higher than cad red or yellow. why I don't know.)

Oooh I would love to have overhead natural lighting like that in my little studio. But honestly, if I had that much room, I'd just have more horses... lol.
Those windows would not suit me. They appear to diffuse the sunlight to a point that makes it hard to determine the position of the sun. To me, that would be to constant and get boring to work in. When working from life, one could not look into the direction of the light, or have the light direction at their back.

Last edited:
Those windows would not suit me. They appear to diffuse the sunlight to a point that makes it hard to determine the position of the sun. To me, that would be to constant and get boring to work in. When working from life, one could not look into the direction of the light, or have the light direction at their back.

Yes I do see your point there..

Philip Pearlstein.
Philip Pearlstein 01.jpg
Philip Pearlstein 02.jpg
Philip Pearlstein 03.jpg
Philip-Studio-1993.jpg

Seems to like working with his models like Matisse. Close, sometimes hovering over them. They are perhaps more honest to studio though. Not playing as odalisque.

This is basically how I've kept all my studios. And I love Hockney. It wasn't "popular" to love him for a long time, not in the contemporary crowd I run with, but I really don't care. I think he's a wonderful painter and a brilliant person.

I was scheduled to meet David Hockney once, but unfortunately something came up that prevented it. The other meeting that almost happened was with Lucie Rie, someone I admire as much as Hockney. I shall always regret that I never met these two great artists.

These are wonderful shots! I never get tired of looking at these studios. ❤️

Back