Famous Artist Studios

Matisse at work.

Matisse-01.jpg
Matisse-2-1939.jpg
matisse-03.jpg
matisse-4.jpg
Matisse-05.jpg

I adore Raushenberg; so interesting to see his studio.

I cannot think of early Rauschenberg without his partner, Jasper Johns. When I look at this marvellous photo of Johns in his studio, I can understand why Rauschenberg was attracted to him.

Jasper Johns studio_023_PP.jpg

Johns and Rauschenberg (left)
Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg.jpg

Jasper Johns-in-his-East-Houston-Street-studio-June-1973-.jpg

I love Jasper Johns so much. And for more than just his artwork.

When I was younger (like twenty), another artist accused me of copying him. At the time, I had never heard of him or seen his work before (at least that I was ever aware of). I was not familiar with his work at all. Maybe I saw it in a museum since I had gone to a few in Los Angeles and his work is in the permanent collections of all of them, but I had a foggy, uneducated understanding of the art I was looking at for the most part.

In any case, I became very curious about what took place, so I went to the bookstore to investigate this artist's accusation. I opened up a big fat book of Jasper Johns' work and immediately fell in love. I saw a lot of similarities, as I was making a lot of targets and using stenciled letters back then. My paint was very thick as well, but I only wish I could make art as cool as his. He wouldn't be a bad artist to try to mimic, but I swear I wasn't trying to.

But from there on out, he wound up becoming a strong influence on my work anyhow, and happily. Further, getting to know his work opened me up to learning about his contemporaries and art history. It was the catalyst in that regard. I became extremely interested in a multitude of other artists and how their work fit into the context of the culture all throughout history. I've since been educating myself over the years about these things and loving every moment of it. :)

Like you, I also love Jasper Johns, Ayin. In my case, I was a young schoolboy when I discovered him. I remember being bowled over by his target with plaster casts.

Japser Johns 1.jpg

I pasted it into my scrapbook, to the bemusement of my friends, who collected photos of the Beatles and sports stars. Those casts and the theme of a circle with a horizontal line have been recurring motifs in my own stuff.

Last edited:
Monet's now used as a a gift shop when you visit his garden and house.
monet_8.jpg
Monet-2.jpg
vintage-claude-monet-in-his-studio-at-giverny-05.jpg
Monet-01.jpg

Attachments

• monet_8.jpg
    monet_8.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Monet-01.jpg
    Monet-01.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Monet-2.jpg
    Monet-2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 95
  • vintage-claude-monet-in-his-studio-at-giverny-05.jpg
    vintage-claude-monet-in-his-studio-at-giverny-05.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 90
1. Can you imagine working/painting in a 3-piece suit?
2. I didn't even know Dylan sculpted.

Back