Faces of Man - a short series

24.jpg

You've done more neutral expressions- asleep or no obvious emotion- than either what we term "positive" emotions** (which is next in number) or "negative" emotions which has only about a quarter as many as the other two.

So, if that helps you on your search, maybe giving you a breadcrumb to chew on, chew away, and hope you stumble on what you're looking for.

What are your dreams telling you?

**There's just no such thing as positive or negative emotions- all emotions have a reason to exist and to come to fore. But, despite it being woefully wrong pop-psych vocabulary, everyone knows what emotions it means, too.

JStarr brings up a point. I'd like to see other expressions - like suspicion, worry, amused, bored. etc. I find expressions the hardest part of faces. I know some say a lot of it is in the mouth - lips. Ever so slight variations can change everything. John Singer Sargent described a portrait as "a likeness in which there is something wrong about the mouth." ".

JStarr brings up a point. I'd like to see other expressions - like suspicion, worry, amused, bored. etc. I find expressions the hardest part of faces. I know some say a lot of it is in the mouth - lips. Ever so slight variations can change everything. John Singer Sargent described a portrait as "a likeness in which there is something wrong about the mouth." ".
I may have already covered those mentioned expressions, such as #11_suspicion, #23_ worry, #19_ amused, #14_bored. As you said, a slight variation can change everything. They don't have to be overdone like a cartoon.

That's why there were more neutrals than even "positive". A very slight shift in the pupil-size can indicate an entirely different emotion- even the way- this is something I learned in a seminar in emotional responses for my work as a Recreational Therapist: Even the way the tongue is held, *inside* the mouth, can change the emotional expression response.

It's all game.

To me, the above is polite interest- not yet bored, but not much more than polite interest. Widened pupils, eyebrows raised some- not a lot- mouth neutral- but closed. Polite interest.

That's why there were more neutrals than even "positive". A very slight shift in the pupil-size can indicate an entirely different emotion- even the way- this is something I learned in a seminar in emotional responses for my work as a Recreational Therapist: Even the way the tongue is held, *inside* the mouth, can change the emotional expression response.

It's all game.

To me, the above is polite interest- not yet bored, but not much more than polite interest. Widened pupils, eyebrows raised some- not a lot- mouth neutral- but closed. Polite interest.
Thank you for your polite interest. ;)

Back