Exercise still life

wirfi

A few days ago I wanted to exercise painting from real life, so I bought a few fruits and threw them up on a white t-shirt. Oil on a small canvas panel. I tried enhancing the colours and constrasts I saw. Critique is welcome.

19102021-IMG_3039_1200x872.jpg

Lovely work! I like your touches of green here. I agree that you did a great job with the folds of fabric. Very nice still life!

This is gorgeous! I love those blue tones in the fabric and the reflected light off the fruit.

Love this! I was doing some small paintings of citrus in between other paintings. It is tricky to get the folds and round-ness of the fruits. Great work!

Beautifully done.

I like the soft glow of the fruit and the way the cloth picks up the colors of the fruit. Wonderful job on the folds of cloth and the way the light darkens as you move into the background.

Beautiful still life. I like the contrast between the dark background and the bright and warm foreground.

Thank you for your nice comments, it gives inspiration to continue :)

It was an exercise, but I'm quite happy with it since I managed to get over some obsticles. I have been to sparse with my paint before, and put it on thicker here which I enjoyed. It's so easy to get cautious with the amount of expensive paint, especially when you just want to try something out ;)

And I needed to control the light, so I cut a cardboard box and put it over the objects, with a hole to let through the light.

Beautiful observation and so much skill in capturing the folds of the fabric and the waxy surfaces of the fruit. Really surprised to read that you don't usually work with paint this thickly, but so glad you abandoned caution for this one! There's a wonderfully luxuriant feel to your paint handling here that I just love.

This is lovely, from the darker fabric in the back, to the almost iridescent fabric in the foreground. Overall highlights, shadows, and reflections are appropriate and well done.

Hey, Welcome to the site, wirfi!

This is so excellent! An exercise you say? You clearly have a ton of skill for light and shadow as well as composition, palette and contrast/values. Simply amazing. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

A few days ago I wanted to exercise painting from real life, so I bought a few fruits and threw them up on a white t-shirt. Oil on a small canvas panel. I tried enhancing the colours and constrasts I saw. Critique is welcome.

View attachment 11560
Beautiful work. I feel like I could actually reach in and adjust the cloth.

Back