Exercise in light and value

jmfletch

Some flaws but am pleased overall. Biggest flaw to me was pressing to hard on the original contour. Multiple grades of graphite plus white charcoal on gray-toned paper. About 2hours.

EAC60F66-6BCA-4676-8301-0F477A2AE18C.jpeg

Joe

Beautiful result, Joe. Love the combination of the graphite, white charcoal, & paper colour, and there's a subtle texture to the shading that's really appealing. Polystyrene balls are handy for these kind of studies if you'd like to try them from life - you can get fancy and paint them different values, too.

Vivien, jo, Joe1, Joan, and Laila -Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment. I really appreciate the encouragement.

Triss - I have a set of forms I use to practice from life. Painted them all white using gesso. Well except the cone and sphere. The come I made from white paper and the sphere is an old sponge baseball. Gesso won’t stay on it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Joe

The next lesson is using Value to create forms from basic shape. Shapes were rectangle, pyramid, cylinder and cone. Multiple grades of graphite and white charcoal on gray toned paper. First 3 I drew from the reference. The cone I drew from life.

509EDB4C-AA91-447B-A1E1-85A2DB278BED.jpeg

Going to use this thread to post the lessons as I get them done rather than creating new posts.
Joe

These are super Joe, such a gentle gradation of tone. I am in awe and slightly envious of the patience you must have to do these to this standard. The line hatching on the pepper is incredible - I just don't get on with that as a technique at all.👏

Great work on these Joe. You have done a great job of smooth transitions, values and shadows.

Back