Elk in a Snow Storm

Grizabella

Was Ellen E. on Wet Canvas
This is one of the watercolors I'm doing as Christmas card/gifts this year for my neighbors. I'm still having trouble mastering the splattering and I managed to "snow" on myself and my TV remote more than on the elk. LOL But all of this is watercolor except for the snow, which I did with well-diluted gouache.

I did this with Rosa Gallery watercolors, and Caran D'Ache gouache on Baohong 100% cotton paper on a block. Artist quality from Baohong because they also offer an academy grade. It probably doesn't need mentioning what brushes I use but I really love the Fuumuui real hair brushes which are advertised as being sable and some are squirrel. They're quite inexpensive brushes but they're very good and I thought I'd mention them and give them a plug.

I also posted this in the Animal forum.

Attachments

• 20221127_165431.jpg
    20221127_165431.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 102
What a beautiful image for a card! The snow splatters look great to me and they add such a wintry touch.

A very beautiful seasonal card!
I wish I could tell you (and me) the secret to spattering 😁 But you did a good job with it on this one.

Thank you so much to everyone! I'm so pleased you all like it! :D I've been trying to learn to use watercolors for over four years now, with a year or so off dealing with covid issues, and I'm so glad to finally be to see some success. I used to paint with oils but that's quite a messy medium and I love the simplicity of clean-up with watercolors. I'm still messy but at least I don't have to use mineral spirits or turpentine.

I'm adding snow to most of the cards because it kind of makes them seem more like the holidays but I didn't want to do the traditional holiday images that are specific because I thought people might like a painting they could put on the wall or somewhere year round. I found out some of the neighbors have had their Christmas cards from years past on the wall year round so this year, I'm giving them something not specific to a holiday.

Speaking of snow---it's starting to snow a little bit here as I'm typing this. I live in the mountains surrounded by almost 2 million acres of Willamette National Forest and we're currently under a storm alert for snow.

I used to paint with oils but that's quite a messy medium and I love the simplicity of clean-up with watercolors. I'm still messy but at least I don't have to use mineral spirits or turpentine.
That part is awfully appealing, isn't it?! I'm drawn to watercolors too, but I just can't get a handle on them 😆 You're very bold to spatter snow on your finished painting!

That part is awfully appealing, isn't it?! I'm drawn to watercolors too, but I just can't get a handle on them 😆 You're very bold to spatter snow on your finished painting!
Believe me, when I start spattering, my heart is in my throat. lol Too many times I've ruined a painting by doing "just one more little touch". lol But I've learned that if I hold a tissue in my other hand then if anything goes wrong, I can pick it right back up quickly with the tissue.

I had trouble at first with water control. There's so much to remember about the techniques for water colors that I couldn't keep everything in my head for a long time but I'm gradually learning what I need to do so that I can utilize it. I've given up (for now) learning to do the "fast and loose" style. I just seem to be a more detail-oriented artist with watercolor.

Back