Want to share economical100% cotton paper source

Ellen Easton

Was Ellen E. on Wet Canvas
Today I discovered an economical 100% cotton paper source on Amazon. These are 9x12 blocks of 20 sheets for $16.99 by Fuumuui. I'm a devoted user of their brushes labeled as sable, so I think probably the paper may be good, too. I've ordered some to try out and will report back once I do that but thought I'd post the link for others who might want to try it too. The price is very good and I hope they keep it at this price but at any rate, how can I not give it a try? The 9x12 is a bigger size than I've found even by Baohong for the price and there are 20 sheets so it's a generous amount of pages, too. Click the word Amazon below.

I haven't checked this new paper out yet even though I intended to. Just when it came in the mail, I got the news I was moving to a bigger house so now I'm still getting stuff unpacked and settling in. Then family issues came along---the passing of my children's father yesterday (we divorced many years ago) has caused a kink in the smooth road to having time to paint. So----have you tried the new paper yet, Kay? Maybe tonight I'll get something done on it and if I do I'll post about it here right away.

ETA: Fuumuui also has little 5X7 blocks, too, for $6.90 so I ordered a couple of the small ones, too. They are 20 sheets like the bigger ones.

Here's another kind I found:

It's 5X7 and it's $9.49 for a 20 sheet block.

Meeden is now carrying 100% cotton blocks, too, but I haven't tried or priced them yet.

Last edited:
Okay I finally tried the Fuumuui paper and it's really nice. I tried lifting color and that works very nicely for the colors I tried. I don't have all my paints unpacked yet so I used the only ones I could get to---Sennelier---but normally I use Rosa Gallery. I'm going to try that brand soon on this brand of paper, but the Sennelier paints went on beautifully both wet-on-wet and wet on dry. The colors move nicely on wet-on-wet. I didn't really overwork it to see if the paper pills. I'm not a really knowledgable person on lots of the technicalities of what I should look for to do a review but I'm very pleased with this paper. Although the color lifts quite easily, it doesn't lift the first color when you're doing a second wash. If you lift on purpose it does lift well, but if you're doing a second layer, it doesn't lift the first layer if you don't try to lift, if that makes any sense. Sennelier is known for being great for layering so that might also be a factor.

I use mostly the Fuumuui brushes made from animal hair, and some of those they advertise as Kolinsky sable but I don't know if they really are Kolinsky. I've been very happy with their brushes. And their travel brushes have the wonderful feature of the caps being screw-on so there's no rattling around loose fitting caps like on other brands which I appreciate very much because I really like travel brushes. They even make travel brushes with daggers and flats and if I'm not mistaken, I think I even have a set that's got a filbert or two. And they have a set for travel that doesn't have the screw on caps---they just have wooden handles---but they come in a case and are quite economical.

If you do any shopping for art supplies on Amazon, you really should check out the Fuumuui store because they have lots of brush sets in addition to the watercolor cotton blocks I've mentioned.

Thanks Ellen. Looks interesting. I've bookmarked it for later. I'm pretty well supplied with paper right now.

These are also eligible for Amazon Subscribe and Save which lowers the price even further if you order from Amazon regularly.

I'm well supplied with paper, too, but was at the point of needing to replenish the supply when I saw this paper. Since I like their brushes, I couldn't resist giving it a try.

I also got Bee sketchbooks in two sizes. I've tried to order some in the past only to find them sold out so when I found them in stock, I jumped on the good fortune.

I don't use subscribe and save because I live on a small income and I don't always need any particular item the next month so it would just be wasteful to buy something I wasn't out of. I do stock up on certain things but not with subscribe and save. I'm also not a very prolific artist which means I don't run out of stuff that often. It's a good deal for those who do, though.

Well, the cheap art supply lady is back and I've found another one---Let me know if I'm annoying with these things I find and I'll stop. I'm not starting a new thread with this because maybe that wouldn't be appropriate and might cross the line into really annoying. I do like to share these things because I know it can be hard to find decent art supplies for reasonable prices and especially for people just starting out, it can be hard to find a way to afford it.

Having just stocked up on paper and sketchbooks, I definitely didn't need anything more, BUT----I couldn't resist trying this paper out so I bought 200 sheets of the 7"X10" size. I first carefully considered the reviews and since they were mostly good. I just went for it.

This particular paper compares favorably to Bee paper. It came today and I tried it so I could review it. One Amazon review complained of rippling when wet, and it does do that. I've even used a block of other brands of paper that also rippled, though, but if left on the block till dry, they're usually not too bad. This paper flattens right back out. I couldn't get it to pill. And even though I use just run-of-the-mill bright blue masking tape like you'd use when painting a wall, it didn't tear the surface of the paper. I forgot to check how it is with lifting, but if that's a question anyone has, I'll try it. It's textured on both sides the same.

Anyway, here's the link:

Coming back to add that I'm self-taught and have only been using watercolors for about 5 years, so I speak from that position. I'm not any great shakes as a professional artist. I used to paint in oils and I've sold paintings in oil when I was raising kids as a single parent. With watercolors, I do care about using good materials and am a decent judge of their quality, so I think I can give reliable information but I'm not the last word on the subject by any means.

Last edited:
Thank you, Artyczar. :) I'll continue to share when I uncover something new.

When I first started painting with watercolor I'd look at a pad or block with 15 or 20 pages and priced at $20 or more and I'd cringe and think how expensive that was. Then I'd buy something else that was cheaper. As I've gone on, though, and thought more critically about it, that's really not so expensive. And $30 for 200 sheets is definitely not expensive, all things considered. I used my calculator and that's only about 26 cents per sheet of 7"x10" and you surely can't beat that. Plus, buying pads or blocks of 20 sheets, I asked myself how long it would take me to do that many paintings since I'm not a prolific painter and in reality it would last me months and months at my slow pace. It takes me the full year to finish 30 Christmas paintings, after all.

300lb Arches is expensive! I buy the larger ones at 22 x 30 inches, which are about $8+ a sheet!

Back