Elephant Wire Sculpture Commission

jennaboo88

Hello everyone! I have been away for too long. I miss the great community of artists here, so I'm hoping to spend more time visiting with you all.

Here is one of my latest wire sculptures which was a commissioned piece. Since this is now safely in the possession of my client, I decided it was time to share here.

This elephant was fun to make but took a great deal of time and wire! He measures 10.75 inches long by 8.5 inches tall by 4.25 inches wide. He topped out at a hefty 8 pounds 14 ounces...which then equates to 1,760 feet of dark annealed wire in gauges 16, 18, 19, 22 and 28.

His only embellishments, as per requested by my client, are the silver tusks, which are made with steel necklace pendants. It can be a challenge to rely only on wire and artistic technique for the forms, but that makes me continue to grow as an artist. I enjoy sculptures with many embellishments...and enjoy minimalist ones such as this equally.

This is one of two commissions from my client recently, the other being a cheetah, which I will post soon in a separate thread.

I am pleased to say he is happy with his elephant. I always welcome C&C regardless. Thank you for looking!

Elephant 1.jpg
Elephant 2.jpg
Elephant 3.jpg
Elephant 4.jpg
Elephant 5.jpg
Elephant 6.jpg
Elephant 7.jpg
Elephant 8.jpg

Elephant 9.jpg
Elephant 10.jpg
Elephant 11.jpg
Elephant 13.jpg
Elephant 14.jpg
Elephant 15.jpg
Elephant 16.jpg

Attachments

• Elephant 12.jpg
    Elephant 12.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 71
Such fabulous form and design, Jenna, one of your best! I'm sure he is thrilled. Lots of work and wire go into these one-of-a-kind creations. Thanks for letting us see it. I'm sure the cheetah will be super, too.

There's a lot to be said about simplicity and this is a great example. The tusk embellishments paired with a strong profile are excellent together. Your studio shots are professional and nicely staged. Looking forward to seeing the cheetah. :)

Sorry, Jenna, my computer froze for a few hours.
Anyway, Your time, talent, and love for your art shows in this piece, too. He's wonderful.

Such fabulous form and design, Jenna, one of your best! I'm sure he is thrilled. Lots of work and wire go into these one-of-a-kind creations. Thanks for letting us see it. I'm sure the cheetah will be super, too.
Many thanks, Kay! So very kind of you. The heavier/chunkier the animal, the more time and wire goes into making them, so something like an elephant at this size took so many spools of wire and afternoons of work. Good thing it's fun to do! ;) I appreciate your kind comments so much.

There's a lot to be said about simplicity and this is a great example. The tusk embellishments paired with a strong profile are excellent together. Your studio shots are professional and nicely staged. Looking forward to seeing the cheetah. :)
Thanks very much, Rob! I like that you appreciate the simplicity. There are three sculptures in this series for this client...my charging bull (made back in 2017), and now this and the cheetah. All of them are united by the fact that they are all dark annealed wire with only a tiny silver embellishment (horns on the bull, tusks on the elephant, and the ears of the cheetah). It does make for a powerful display, so I like that. Thanks for the nice comments!

Sorry, Jenna, my computer froze for a few hours.
Anyway, Your time, talent, and love for your art shows in this piece, too. He's wonderful.
Hi ntl! Oh, thank you so much for the great comments! It really means a lot to me.

I love your elephant - I love all your sculptures - they are just so alive! Beautiful! ❤️
Thank you so much! Wow, that is such a sweet comment. I love how you say they are so alive. I'm so glad for that...a select few over the years have critiqued me for not including eyes in my sculptures (with the exception of my fish and my insects), but I don't want the eyes. I don't want a fixed expression. It's fun to let people determine the moods of the sculptures for themselves. Thanks again!

select few over the years have critiqued me for not including eyes in my sculptures (with the exception of my fish and my insects), but I don't want the eyes. I don't want a fixed expression. It's fun to let people determine the moods of the sculptures for themselves.
Your instinct to not include the eyes are spot on. For me, your sculptures are truly magical. I think I said once before, I could see them in a book, with little stories about them

Back