Dog study

triss

I was never brave enough to post in the oil forum over at WC, as I'm really not a 'proper' oil painter (I just love oils for the mess). I've been trying to get back into doing some of my sketching in oil, so this is a quick study of Dog1, mostly drawn with R&F oil sticks, and then shoved about a bit with a brush.
dogoil1.jpg

Not an oil painter???????? You could have fooled me! This is SUPERB! I absolutely love it. I want it. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ⚡

That is superb! Glad you're using the sticks. Though I haven't used mine much, or for a long time, I may get mine out to keep you company here!

Thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated. I'm always sketching my dogs, but this is the first time I've tried it in oil. I'm not very handy with brushes, but the sticks are brilliant for working quickly.

ntl - I haven't come across anyone else who's a fan of oil sticks, so I hope you do get yours out!

I like this loose style. You have captured the dog with minimal "brush" strokes.

This is so beautifully done! I've only tried oils a couple of times and it seems so hard to keep from mixing the strokes of color together and making mud. Your distinct, descriptive strokes are exactly what I hope to learn to do.

I love the way you shoved around the colors with a brush! And those color mixes are beautiful.
What size?

Thanks again for your comments.
What size?
Sorry for forgetting to include the size/surface info - Georgian oil paper, 20"X14".
I've only tried oils a couple of times and it seems so hard to keep from mixing the strokes of color together and making mud.
I hope you keep going with your oils - I enjoy playing around with muddy, muted colours, but you'll find loads of ways to keep things vibrant.

This is great with wonderful brushwork and softened edges to produce what I think is a super piece. Great job and I like the limited palette.
John

A perfect doggie expression arises from all those loose, bold strokes. Neat trick! I love it.

Pet portraits don't usually capture me, but this one does. I love the brushwork! Best painting of a dog I've ever seen.

Back