Couple of travel watercolors (xpost watermedia)

Bartc

Up in Oregon for a family affair so made sure to take my watercolor and ink mini. Couple of local sights: Multnomah Falls and Haystack Rock in the fog at Canon Beach. About 3.5x5.5 (postcards), ink and watercolor on paper.
Mulltnomah Falls.jpg
Canon Beach Oregon Haystack Rock in Fog.jpg

Wonderful work, Bart! And welcome to Oregon! I'm here, too, but considerably further southeast than where these scenes were painted from.

Thanks, Griz. I'm back in CA now, but enjoyed my brief return visit to OR.

Real nice work, Bart! What a great way to supplement your memories of special trips and places. What comes first - the ink and then the watercolor?

Thanks, Donna. First quick sketch in pencil. Ink in preferred lines only, then wash with watercolor. Sometimes I skip the inking altogether, but find this line and wash sequence and technique very quick and suggestive of detail better than watercolor alone. Most folks seem to like these. They're small because I'm carrying while sightseeing, but I have done this in up to 9x12" sizes too and they work.

Donna, the rocks pic has no ink, just pencil, and I had originally wanted to erase those lines. Might still do it. They do mitigate the fog effect.

That is very cool that you got to capture some moments from you family trip en plein air. I think a lot of people would like to do what you have done here!

Back