Concrete Sphere, partially painted.

Hermes2020

Hollow concrete sphere, diameter 300 mm, partially painted.

DSC_5807a.jpg

DSC_5810a.jpg

DSC_5811a.jpg

I find this most enigmatic. I love the hint of iron (?) In the embedded elements. I wish I had made it.

I could see an elongated version of this.

Thank you snoball! Also, thanks Iain — that is just about the best compliment. It is all concrete, so the metallic look is entirely faux, done with metal powder mixed with alkyd resin. Tell me what you mean by an elongated version. I am always looking for ideas!

I agree with sno about it only being partially painted. So cool. It gives it a kind of prehistoric/futuristic vibe, or maybe a dystopian feel, which makes it extremely special.

If one used a material that gave for s mold (layers of tights/pantyhose, for instance), one could use the weight of the wet cement and gravity to form some interesting asymeterical shapes. An elongated sphere, for instance. My "bright" ideas are "glimpsed in the corner of the eye" and only realised in the making or, better yet, undertaking!

If one used a material that gave for s mold (layers of tights/pantyhose, for instance), one could use the weight of the wet cement and gravity to form some interesting asymeterical shapes. An elongated sphere, for instance. My "bright" ideas are "glimpsed in the corner of the eye" and only realised in the making or, better yet, undertaking!
I understand now. I may well give it a try. I have a way to roll out the concrete in 8 mm thick slabs, the way one does with ceramic clay. It is much more difficult to handle, so I roll it on a piece of canvas. That makes it much easier to manipulate. I could try to mould a slab of concrete on stretchy fabric a la your idea.

Thank you snoball! Also, thanks Iain — that is just about the best compliment. It is all concrete, so the metallic look is entirely faux, done with metal powder mixed with alkyd resin. Tell me what you mean by an elongated version. I am always looking for ideas!
Arty said it best for me - outstanding !
Did you use the metal powder alkyd mix as a paint on the hemispheres, or did you make them out of the mix entirely as separate solid pieces and then attach them ?

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind comments, Trier and joe1It. I used a hollow hemisphere mould to form the top and bottom parts separately. The top part had a division of modelling clay into which I pressed the bumps and corrugated texture. The bottom half had a flattened area to form a foot to enable the sphere to rest at the correct 45° angle. The walls are 8 mm thick and built up from rolled out slabs of concrete. After I joined the the two halves I painted the textured area with normal artist's alkyd paints, but with a first coat of metal powder mixed with alkyd painting medium.

Beautiful work!

Thank you very much. I am not usually in favour of faux effects on sculpture, but I wanted to experiment on this one with a faux metallic and verdigris paint effect. On the other hand, I am probably weird, but I'm not against doing it in a painting.

This is so tactile I just want to run my hands over it, lovely work
Thank you very much. The admirer of Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier in me finds the painting effect a bit offensive, but it's a sculpture, so why not?

Back