Collage experiment/WIP - Finished

Donna T

I press weeds and wildflowers to make prints for note cards. Part of the process is using tissue paper to remove the excess paint from around the flowers once they are laid on the printing plate (a Gelli plate). Sometimes I get interesting images on the tissue so of course I save it. I'm trying to collage the tissue and make use of the flower designs. This is a 7x10 on watercolor paper. I tried to match the paint colors from the collage pieces to tie the image together. I extended the stems with a pen and outlined the shapes. I like how the pressed leaves and stems are kind of distorted - they keep me from thinking too literally about what the flowers should look like.
Untitled-2tissue1.jpg

This is a 12x12 canvas where I've attached the tissue pieces and have started outlining the shapes. I'm using matte medium to collage and find that it's still glossy enough that paint doesn't stick well on top so I rubbed on a thin layer of gesso. I stuck on some text behind the tissue and also in the background but I'll probably cover most of it up. I'm starting to outline the shapes with a Pitt pen. I have no idea where to go from here ... but it can all be gessoed over if it doesn't work. Any and all suggestions are very welcome!
Untitled-1tissue.jpg

Oh, this is pretty cool! I love the colors on the top one. I think you should continue exploring this new tack (y)
Parts of the second one that haven't yet been outlined remind me of pressed flower cyanotypes prints.
See the work of Anna Atkins, creator of the world's first book of photography.
cyanna.jpg

Donna! This turned out so exquisite! I absolutely love how you arrived at this. It's very unique and gorgeous. Truly! ♥️

Fantastic outcome. Love the way you incorporated the imprints! ❤️

Thanks everyone - I'm still not sure what to do with the one on the canvas. Right now it's just some tissue and text and it needs a background of some sort. I can always completely cover the background with one unifying color and leave just the flower shapes but I kind of like the colors in the tissue paper and want to try to use them somehow.

Lamar, those cyanotypes are beautiful! It's amazing how the design takes center stage when the color is removed and it's just the shape being featured. I need to keep that in mind with what I'm doing here.

Bart, CaliAnn, Arty, Sno and Wayne - thanks for looking and if the piece on canvas evolves into something interesting I'll post it.

I missed this until now. Amazing pieces, Donna! I would love to pull up a chair and just watch you craft things like this. Your results are beautiful, and I'm still not really sure how you did it. 🤣

I hope you can tease more from the canvas piece!

Terri, I'm not sure how I did this either! I finished outlining the plants and am still clueless as to what to do next. Just do something, I guess, and take it from there.

You're cracking me up! Yes - sometimes all we can do is just push ahead and see what happens. Take notes! :LOL:

Well, here's where I am with the canvas. I think it's done unless anyone has suggestions. It's kind of weird using color for the background but not for the subject. I could color the flowers but kind of like the graphic starkness of them. I covered up the text in the background. It was from a book about mutual funds and finances so it was pretty boring anyway. 😄 12 x 12

IMG_3311PScs.jpg

I love this, Donna! Unique and lovely!

It's kind of weird using color for the background but not for the subject. I could color the flowers but kind of like the graphic starkness of them.
Oh, for me that's the best part! I'm used to looking at film negatives and typically I groove on all varying ways of positive/negative art. :) This fits that bill to perfection. Also - purple!!!! ❤️

Wonderful and creative piece. I hope you find that floater frame for it!

Hi Terri - I never thought about film negatives but I see the connection now. How cool that photography and printmaking overlap in that way! Thanks so much!

I think this is beautiful. Love the background colors background to the organic shapes ❤️

Back