Clay tiles

PSA3475

Here is an example of my clay work, completed during covid lockdown. Individual tiles were made, fired, glazed, fired and assembled on cement board, grouted and framed.

Attachments

• 0DCAE9EC-40ED-43E9-AA9F-79BE0FC04584.jpeg
    0DCAE9EC-40ED-43E9-AA9F-79BE0FC04584.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
Yes. I made the tiles and bisque fired them, then glazed them and fired them again. Finally I played around with them until I got them in an order I liked, then mortared them on a cement board, grouted and framed. It hangs outside on the back patio.

Oh that's even better. I didn't realize they were grouted together. They make an attractive hanging with the turquoise scattered around in a balanced fashion. Well done.

Thanks. I am way out of my league on this site so I appreciate your kind words.

I love these tiles. I like the abstract designs and each have their own personality, yet together they make a compelling piece. I also like the different tactile glazes. Lots of workmanship. Well done.

Is this your usual medium? Should I add a clay forum, or do you think "sculpture" suffices?

I love these tiles. I like the abstract designs and each have their own personality, yet together they make a compelling piece. I also like the different tactile glazes. Lots of workmanship. Well done.

Is this your usual medium? Should I add a clay forum, or do you think "sculpture" suffices?
Thanks for your encouragement. Clay is my usual medium but it takes a long time to get to a finished piece so I also play with collage, mixed medium, acrylics, etc. I have been inspired by art I have seen here as a guest...including yours🙂

Hey, thanks PSA. ❤

Your clay tiles remind me of a piece I did with some clay tiles of my own. Can I post it in this thread? They don't look like yours, I just made some little clay tiles and sewed them to a board. ;)

Here is an example of my clay work, completed during covid lockdown. Individual tiles were made, fired, glazed, fired and assembled on cement board, grouted and framed.

I love the glazes on your tiles. Sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it, but just want to confirm that you used stoneware. Stoneware fired to 1280°C is my favourite clay body. Have you ever used porcelain?

I use red clay with grog and glaze fire to cone 06. Most of what I do is garden art for outside so this is the best clay for that. I have done some raku in the past but never worked with porcelain. I would like to see some of your work!

I use red clay with grog and glaze fire to cone 06. Most of what I do is garden art for outside so this is the best clay for that. I have done some raku in the past but never worked with porcelain. I would like to see some of your work!

OK, I will post some examples soon. It is mostly non-functional sculptural stuff.

Back