Canadian eh!

Enyaw

namuh
005.JPG

Trying to get a new cycle going and not knowing where to go I decided to go back to my own roots which were the Group of Seven .. maybe because I saw an article on Tom Tomson last night. Who knows? Anyway, here is where I start .. 11 x 14 oil on panel .. actually used brushes in places

I do not know what the Group of Seven means...but I do know that I love purples, yellows and browns like this. Touches of blue and olive. Gorgeous work! Love this one.

i can definitely see some Group of Seven in this painting, especially that expansive sky... well done!

FYI
  • the Group of Seven were a group of Canadian painters founded in 1920, that were famous for mostly post impressionistic iconic Canadian landscapes.
  • although there were 7 painters at the core. official members changed and other painters were associated with the group without actually being members.
  • they went through similar battles with the Canadian art establishment that the French impressionists had previously fought with the Paris art establishment (ya gotta love rebels! :ROFLMAO: ).
  • Although Tom Thomson was a huge influence on the Group of Seven, he died before the group was actually formed.
maybe i should have posted this under Art History? 😕:D

i can definitely see some Group of Seven in this painting, especially that expansive sky... well done!

FYI
  • the Group of Seven were a group of Canadian painters founded in 1920, that were famous for mostly post impressionistic iconic Canadian landscapes.
  • although there were 7 painters at the core. official members changed and other painters were associated with the group without actually being members.
  • they went through similar battles with the Canadian art establishment that the French impressionists had previously fought with the Paris art establishment (ya gotta love rebels! :ROFLMAO: ).
  • Although Tom Thomson was a huge influence on the Group of Seven, he died before the group was actually formed.
maybe i should have posted this under Art History? 😕:D
Seven is the inner direction of every human. man have six points of direction for, back, up, down, left, right, and the seven is inside.
seven.jpg

Thank you Anne And Lazarus

Thank you Mbeckett:

In a nutshell:
The Group of Seven rebelled against the constraints of 19th-century naturalism. (See also: Canadian Painting in the 19th Century.) They tried to establish a more equitable and independent relationship between art and nature. In this sense, they were similar to European fin de siècle symbolists and post-impressionists such as Edvard Munch, Paul Gaugin and Émile Bernard. These masters were a key influence on the group’s aesthetics.

The group shifted emphasis away from similitude (the imitation of natural effects) toward the expression of their feelings for their subjects. They often painted together, both in the wilderness and in the famed Studio Building, which Harris and arts patron Dr. James McCallum built in Toronto’s Rosedale neighbourhood in 1914. As a result, their paintings developed along similar lines. Their early works usually have heavy impasto and bright colours. They are boldly summarized and draw attention to surface patterning.

Following a visit to the stark north shore of Lake Superior in 1921, Lawren Harris began to radically simplify the colour and layouts of his canvases. MacDonald, Carmichael and even Varley soon adopted similar methods. They began using thin pigment and stylized designs for many paintings

Thanks for posting the info Wayne and Michael.

Lazarus, those diagrams are interesting. But I hardly know what you're talking about. :unsure:

This is beautiful. Absolutely. My daughter gave me a coffee table book of the Group of Seven. Some really beautiful work in it and the photographer did well. We spent about 15 summers in Canada when Gene, spouse, retired so that is why she gave me the book. We are sort of adopted Canadians. We drove all over playing golf, Gene biking and me painting, from Nova Scotia to Yellow Knife to Vancouver and all in between. We had Canadian friends in South America so we celebrated both Thanksgivings. Perfect. Eh?

Thank you Jo. Glad to hear you liked the place and people. We are lucky to have such a beautiful and diverse landscape.

Gorgoeus painting Wayne! I love those colours - it makes the scene moody but tranquil at the same time, which I really like.

Interesting info on this thread too. I learnt something during my lunch break! :)

Back