Bloomin' Beauty

WFMartin

I call this oil painting, "Bloomin' Beauty". It was rejected by a judge for one of the local, art competitions that I enter, so this is the "loser". My other two were accepted, but did not receive any awards, or sales.
Bloomin'_Beauty_.jpg

"Bloomin' Beauty".....Oil on RayMar Canvas Panel

When I paint flowers, and still-life subjects, I generally begin with a very accurate grisaille underpainting, over which I apply many layers of colored glazes. I have found that painting a complete, accurate monochromatic underpainting paves the way for the glazes that follow. It provides what I call a "tone map" for the following glaze layers. Color consists of only 3 attributes, or dimensions, and they are Hue, Value, and Chroma. Once I have painted an accurate grisaille, the "Value" dimension has then been solved, and I am free to add the hue, and chroma, by way of thin, transparent glazes. Once I have the grisaille stage to my liking, the remainder of the painting almost paints itself, it is so easy.

Last edited:
Gorgeous Bill, as are all of your floral paintings. I wanna be Bill when I grow up. ;)

Very fine, Bill. So how come you haven't dropped into the guitar thread, where you can defend those hick Telecasters against slick Stratocasters and thick Les Pauls?

Very fine, Bill. So how come you haven't dropped into the guitar thread, where you can defend those hick Telecasters against slick Stratocasters and thick Les Pauls?
"Hick Telecaster"? Bite your tongue!:ROFLMAO: I own two of them, and each is worth about 10 times that what I paid for them. :cool:. I do also appreciate the Strat, and the Les Paul. But, my Tele's are the only ones I've played professionally.

I could never play them. Don't know why. They just don't do it for me. Anyway, there is a Guitar thread if you want to talk gits.

Bill, go to General Discussion (Cafe) and right underneath you will see a drop-down menu for Sub-forums. Click that and you will see "music", click and find drums, guitars, etc.

Back