tips

ntl

Contributing Member
I didn't find a similar thread, so I'm starting this one for oil painting tips. I've read a few nuggets over the years and saved some of them. I recently used one and thought it might help others. If you have a tip, add it in this thread.
WAYS TO LOWER CHROMA
To lower chroma:
Five possibilities:
mixing in neutral grey;
mixing in a complement.

Third and fourth possibilities:
blending with a duller color of the same value (e.g. red earth into Cad Red);
mixing in a tint of a darker paint of the same value.

Fifth possibility: it may be easier to start with a lower chroma than you need and raise your mix up to where you want with a higher chroma.

I didn't find a similar thread, so I'm starting this one for oil painting tips. I've read a few nuggets over the years and saved some of them. I recently used one and thought it might help others. If you have a tip, add it in this thread.
WAYS TO LOWER CHROMA
To lower chroma:
Five possibilities:
mixing in neutral grey;
mixing in a complement.

Third and fourth possibilities:
blending with a duller color of the same value (e.g. red earth into Cad Red);
mixing in a tint of a darker paint of the same value.

Fifth possibility: it may be easier to start with a lower chroma than you need and raise your mix up to where you want with a higher chroma.
I mix in neutral grey a lot -- I most always put down a base coat on my skies and I find this results in a much better sky color, a nice soft blue. When blending the blue into the grey, I find it possible that some of the grey can be retained to give the impression of distant clouds.

Reactions: ntl
To darken a yellow color mix it with burnt umber (or other brown) instead.

For teal blue, or teal green, start with blue or green and add black. One I learned from painting a boat and house trim.

Back