Author Stephen King portrait

RWSewell

To mix up my current output of paper sculptures, I thought I'd try a colored pencil portrait. Using Prismacolor pencils and working in grey scale, I did a fan art portrait of author Stephen King. Anyone who knows me knows of my lifelong enjoyment of his work. I went with 18" x 24" to capture a sense of hyper-realism. Once done, I turned to some multi-media techniques to give the portrait some extra punch. The colored background is cotton cloth; the negative space around the portrait is cut away and then mounted over the cloth. Happy with the result.
Share any thoughts or critiques you may have, both are welcome. Take care :)

AUTHOR STEPHEN KING
18" x 24", mixed media portrait
Prismacolor pencils (grey scale) on Mi-Teints paper, quilting fabric for the background.
Reference photo credit: Andrew Unangst
January 7, 2023

Stephen King final.JPG

This turned out beautifully! Great likeness and expression. I've read a lot of Stephen King over the years and he can be quirky and fun - which is how I view this portrait. ❤️

The background is inspired. Yay!

Thank you everyone. This was a fun return to portraiture, something I've turned away from for many years.

Terri ~ "Quirky and fun." That was exactly what I was going for. Unfortunately drawing a young Stephen King meant drawing a full beard!

Captures his expression so well! That looks to be very labor intensive. Thanks for the WIP, as it gives one more appreciation of your work and talent.

Back