Art Supply Finds

There is a thrift store fairly near me that is pretty renowned for the very good selection of books it carries...

Today I found and purchased six books by Michael Wilcox-

The Wilcox Guide to the Finest Watercolor Paints.
The Artist's Guide to Selecting Colors.
Color Mixing Swatch Book.
Color Mixing System for Watercolors.
Color Mixing System for Oil Paints.
Blue & Yellow Don't Make Green.

I already have the last two, so I'll give the new ones away. They were all priced at $3.99 each.

I also found and purchased Color Mixing the Van Wyck Way by late Helen Van Wyck (one of my favorite artists), also $3.99... I already have her Welcome to My Studio, one of my favorite 'learning books when I was starting out in oils.

I put a wanted ad on freecycle for yarn, hoping to get wool or acrylic for my afghans. I've had one response so far, and got this collection of "speciality yarns, most of which I've never seen, as I don't
use novelty type threads--maybe I do now!:
:
2021-10-04 09.10.53.jpg

There's thick n' thin, two stranded, the blue is "fringed", metalics, the pinkish one has little balls hanging off the string, a metalic ribbon, and I don't know yet what the white is. I don't know how to use them, either. Anybody know?

I just returned to this thread and back to this site in the last week, and read the lovely replies to my post re my health. I am sorry I am so late in replying. Thank you Iain, Marksmomagain, Sno and Artyczar for your kind words of support. Things got tougher for a while and is why I wasn’t around.
I started a biologic- the most advanced area in medicine I am told. I think it might be helping. I have had some much better days and able to do things myself, including household chores, and find myself dancing to music - a wiggle here and a wiggle there. Still have really bad asthma days BUT, starting to reverse in direction. I could kiss the scientists and doctors. 🤞🏻
I haven’t had any interesting finds. I have been providing the finds! 😉 Gave maybe $600 of oil paints , supplies (new, unopened)and a stand up easel to a broke fine art student for $85. Can’t use the stuff and thought I would like to give it to someone who could use it. If some of my online friends had lived close by I would have given it to them.
I just gave my awesome IKEA drafting table with drawing box built in to my 13 year relative. She is prolific with her art making. Quite good too! She didn’t know what a drafting table was and only had a tiny little area on her dresser to paint all her paintings and make all her sculptures. So she was pretty pleased to get it. And that made me feel better about having to get rid of it. I’m just trying to make some more room in my home. And my family were really harping on about the huge drafting table because it took up a lot of space. Personally I could’ve kept it and used it as a kitchen table if I had to. 😁It was so versatile. But the best part was it was sturdy.
I did send pigments for egg tempera to an artist friend I made on WetCanvas. She has a presence here but doesn’t stop in too often these days.
Now I am hoping I will be able to use my art supplies as I feel better.

Glad to see you back! That is great news. Keep it up! Does that mean your extreme sensitivity has reduced? What are you doing/taking, what is this biologic?

Thank you. I am on my 5th dose of Dupixent (severe uncontrolled Eosinophilia asthma and eczema - immune problems that go together) , taken twice a month. I seem to be doing a lot more and not as couch bound. On less steroid too some days, but it’s two steps forward and one step back at this point. That’s ok! But the days are different. I still have asthma -it’s still there, but not as bad and I’m able to do more. I was even able to get out the house by myself for the first time in almost 5 years for an hour and a half last week! And that just blew everyone away in my household and up the street! Neighbours were coming out to greet me. I did have a scooter but still I got out. Definitely getting more done around here. Got to the grocery store for the first time in 4 years. Been getting out period. Not up for walking much, but doing very well on scooter with walks with my hubby. And then I’ll have a bad spell for a day or night. So we’ll see how it goes! It sure is nice to report good news and the main thing is I feel human again. I don’t feel like a very disabled 85 year old waiting in God’s waiting room! I feel decades younger. It is a gift. Hope. We’ll see how far it goes with time. Some people get no response, some people get a partial response, and some people get a complete reversal of their illness.

What is a biologic drug (biologics)?​

• A biologic drug (biologics) is a product that is produced from living organisms or contain components of living organisms.
  • Biologic drugs include a wide variety of products derived from human, animal, or microorganisms by using biotechnology.
  • Types of biologic drugs include vaccines, blood, blood components, cells, allergens, genes, tissues, and recombinant proteins.
  • Biologic products may contain proteins that control the action of other proteins and cellular processes, genes that control production of vital proteins, modified human hormones, or cells that produce substances that suppress or activate components of the immune system.

• Biologic drugs are sometimes referred to as biologic response modifiers because they change the manner of operation of natural biologic intracellular and cellular actions.

What are the medical uses for biologics?​

Biologic drugs are used for treatment of numerous diseases and conditions, and are the most advanced therapies available. Some biologic drugs are used for the treatment of Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other autoimmune diseases. Available biologics have revolutionized cancer treatment, delayed or reversed the course of immune related conditions, changed the lives of people with rare diseases, and have offered hope for many patients who previously had no effective treatment options for their condition.
-Source Medicinenet

Last edited:
You are doing GREAT! How excited--and worn out--you must be. A trick now, is to not over-do.
Thanks for the explanation re biologics. I see a rheumatologist in a few months. I'll keep this in mind.

So glad to hear you're feeling better PaintBoss. What great news. I hope the biologic continues to give you relief and you can get back to art more and more as you feel good. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Back