Art and Humor

405480901_359802406461213_776843822356776482_n.jpg

Be glad you have electricity. Here in my neck of the (increasingly wild) woods, we're in the middle of rolling blackouts again.

I can't imagine. We're in the true start of Winter. It's been near freezing (0 °C) for the last week and today it began at 15°f (-9.44°c). There is always the possibility of outages with major snow storms or ice on the lines, but the last time we faced such personally for any extended period of time was following Hurricane Sandy... but this was the result of stupid planning. Our electric company employees were all sent to New York and New Jersey to deal with the power losses there. They didn't expect the hurricane to move so far inland... but we ended up with a winter storm with steady winds of 70+ MPH and gusts even higher. We lost electricity for 4 or 5 days. For the first 2 days, we were able to get by with candles, thermal socks, and piled-up blankets... but soon the freezing temps were too much. We ended up staying at my wife's mother's house. The power outage didn't extend to where she lived.

Be glad you have electricity. Here in my neck of the (increasingly wild) woods, we're in the middle of rolling blackouts again.

I can't imagine. We're in the true start of Winter. It's been near freezing (0 °C) for the last week and today it began at 15°f (-9.44°c). There is always the possibility of outages with major snow storms or ice on the lines, but the last time we faced such personally for any extended period of time was following Hurricane Sandy... but this was the result of stupid planning. Our electric company employees were all sent to New York and New Jersey to deal with the power losses there. They didn't expect the hurricane to move so far inland... but we ended up with a winter storm with steady winds of 70+ MPH and gusts even higher. We lost electricity for 4 or 5 days. For the first 2 days, we were able to get by with candles, thermal socks, and piled-up blankets... but soon the freezing temps were too much. We ended up staying at my wife's mother's house. The power outage didn't extend to where she lived.

We are lucky in that we don't get that kind of extreme weather here - where you live, a power outage can be literally deadly. Also, more and more people here have gone partly or wholly off-grid. I have a battery pack that can at least keep my electronics (and in the summer heat, a fan) going for the several hours that outages typically last - they're scheduled, and thus mostly predictable, though we do now and then have sudden, unexpected ones. In the longer run I'll do what lots of people do, and simply get a solar panel or two.

I find that the only things I really need constant electricity for are my electronics like computer and internet connection. Everything else is less urgent and can wait. :)

Back