Art and Humor

122064300_10104863065958698_5080047108638953856_n.jpg

The funniest thing is watching the public trying to under my art. Poor fools. They cannot understand or cannot accept the reality that art is subjective, not objective. We make our feelings into art. We are not making machinery for the production of utilitarian objects, which is engineering. Over the years I have made many average people disturbed when I reply to their inquiry about what my images with the simple truth, "I don't know." Trying to understand an artist's unconscious mind is like peeling an onion. You find many many layers and at the core you end up with a tiny onion.

The funniest thing is watching the public trying to under my art. Poor fools. They cannot understand or cannot accept the reality that art is subjective, not objective. We make our feelings into art. We are not making machinery for the production of utilitarian objects, which is engineering. Over the years I have made many average people disturbed when I reply to their inquiry about what my images with the simple truth, "I don't know." Trying to understand an artist's unconscious mind is like peeling an onion. You find many many layers and at the core you end up with a tiny onion.
Well technically the "tiny onion" you find at the core is the last layer, peel that away and you have ended up with nothing...:unsure:

Yes but... to do the peeling of a persons subconcious is more than a little difficult. Certainly the process is time consuming ( years ). Also it invades the artists privacy so he or she might deliberately mislead the questioner to protect oneself.
But we live in a culture that teaches the children to always act rationally and art is irrational. Thus this discussion is a silly waste of time.

Sno, I watched that whole thing and it was really funny, I think because she was laughing hysterically the whole way through and was willing to share her humiliation about it all. I'm leaving it here.

As far as Sculptor, your comments aren't right for this thread, but I'm leaving that too. Why don't you introduce yourself in the Welcome Center forum?

The Best Disease.

A little while after discovering this idiotic drive to create visual art, my sight began to deteriorate. I suppose, if I had discovered an aptitude to tinkle the ivory, my fingers would have fallen off, or, if I had become a gigilo, my...you get the picture.

I have considered removing my glasses and working with my impairment, in some kind of solidarity, but dismissed that as redundant. The majority may have judged my previous work and concluded that I already had.

the speed and quality of "mashups" now-a-days! And do-able to anyone with imagination an internet connection, and basic knowledge of PS. Ten (no make that five) years from now, no one will remember Giuliani or the reference and it will just be a photo of some old guy with his hands in his pants. Comedy dies young. Tragedy lasts forever.

That's the problem of a lot of comedy. A lot of the best comedy is based on contemporary culture and contemporary politics. One of the masterpieces of English satire is Alexander Pope's Dunciad in which he mocks many of the contemporary writers of his day... many of whom were literary stars whom Pope felt were crappy and grossly overrated. Pope was right about most of them, which means they've been largely forgotten... as a result, Pope's references have no meaning for us unless we dig into English literature of the time. I might go further and suggest that such is the danger facing any work of art that is relative to the culture of the time.

the speed and quality of "mashups" now-a-days! And do-able to anyone with imagination an internet connection, and basic knowledge of PS. Ten (no make that five) years from now, no one will remember Giuliani or the reference and it will just be a photo of some old guy with his hands in his pants. Comedy dies young. Tragedy lasts forever.

Five years? I know who Giuliani is, and don't get that one at all. :)

From Sasha Cohen Baron's new movie "Borat 2". In the movie - that intermixes candid footage and staged footage - Giuliani thinks he's being interviewed by a young impressionable female reporter in a hotel room. They go in the bedroom to "take off his mic", Giuliani lays on the bed and puts his hands down his pants to warm things up - but then fearing the gag is going too far Sasha bursts out from the closet and ends it.

So if you don't know the movie you won't get the "joke".

I think putting Giuliani's head on Napolean is ingenious - as Napolean is known for having his hand under his coat - Giuliani is now known by many for having his hands in his pants.

Last edited:
I had a dream about him last night, that he was a lawyer representing my brother in a criminal case and my brother wound up going to federal prison. Ha ha ha.

Arty, That is a weird one. What do they mean! My last dream, our neighbour cut down the hedge, which is not weird in itself, only the hedge was in the Living room we shared. I like my neighbours, but I don't want to live with them. And as they say, good boundaries make for good neighbours.

"Though it may be true that artists have a curious appearance, it's also true that people with peculiar appearances are compelled to take up art."

Quentin Crisp. From the current affairs programme World in Action, 1970.

Back