Arroyo Seco -- Abandoned Homes

A

Aspenman

Many abandoned homes in disrepair in Arroyo Seco NM can be found once you venture out into the area. I spent 5 years plein air painting and searching the area.

Here are 2 just outside the almost abandoned town.

IMG-1109.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How beautiful! They may be abandoned, but the feel of the painting is warm and inviting...I want to step into the painting and go for a walk!

How beautiful! They may be abandoned, but the feel of the painting is warm and inviting...I want to step into the painting and go for a walk!

Thanks 🙏 Terri- my wife and I would pack up our gear, my painting stuff and her photography stuff and a lunch. We would spend the day in Arroyo. The town itself was almost deserted with a few families living in the valley. Kind of scary!!

What an amazing place to visit and I can imagine how different it would feel at night. Wonderful painting, Richard!

What an amazing place to visit and I can imagine how different it would feel at night. Wonderful painting, Richard!
Thanks 😊 Donna - it can be scary during the day I would not roam around after dark!! We would get there about 8am and leave around 2 - 3pm. Over the past few years homeless people have set up camps and taken over abandoned properties!! The last time there we decided would be our last time!!

Yeah, I get the scary part. It's a sad thing, looking at the abandoned properties and just trying to make art from it. The unfortunate folks who are actually trying to live there may have attitudes or feelings you cannot predict. :( You come in peace, with benign intent, and you don't want to be misinterpreted. I don't blame you for not wanting to return from the sense of unease.

Yeah, I get the scary part. It's a sad thing, looking at the abandoned properties and just trying to make art from it. The unfortunate folks who are actually trying to live there may have attitudes or feelings you cannot predict. :( You come in peace, with benign intent, and you don't want to be misinterpreted. I don't blame you for not wanting to return from the sense of unease.
The last time we went was during our “goodbye to Az” trip and we only stayed about one hour as we were being “watched” by a couple of guys from the woods. We got in the car, pedal to the metal!! Melissa got some good photos which I will turn into a series someday of
“Remembering Arroyo Seco”

The last time we went was during our “goodbye to Az” trip and we only stayed about one hour as we were being “watched” by a couple of guys from the woods. We got in the car, pedal to the metal!! Melissa got some good photos which I will turn into a series someday of
“Remembering Arroyo Seco”

Back