Aquarius

ZenDruid

Supporting Member
Where the fishes live. The water needs changed. Acrylics on 16x20" stretched canvas. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

1636147943758.jpeg

Last edited:
I really love the green and yellow palette in this! It is an interesting composition that makes me want to look for a long time and come back to it. It has a little bit of a Matisse/Miro vibe (and I love that)! Really cool Zen! I like your distinct style. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Thank you Wayne, Queen Bee and Arty. My 'style' is to start with a blank mind, smear paint on the blank canvas and see if an idea occurs. In this case it was dollop of red on a credit card, smeared to create the two bottom fish. Blank mind is a handy tool. :)

I like that! It's been a long time since I've begun in that way. Now I'm inspired...but where is the time?

I like that! It's been a long time since I've begun in that way. Now I'm inspired...but where is the time?
I take my time, no rush. After making a few marks on a canvas, I typically leave it alone for a day or two. My "studio" is in the middle of my house. I walk back and forth past the painting all day long, generally ignoring it, sometimes stopping to study it for recognition of the next marks. After making the first red wings for "Flight", it sat around all summer while I tried to figure out what to do next. I continue to add information and make marks slowly until I uderstand what's going on. I over-painted one effort because it was wrong. So I take time and make time.

I really like this! It's so interesting to hear about your "blank mind" approach. I keep putting off starting another piece because I don't think I have a concept yet but maybe I don't need one. Take your time, make some marks and ignore it for awhile. Sounds good to me.

That's exactly what I do too Zen. I just have a lot of pressure on me to not do it that way because I don't have the time to not produce any work. That's not just from outside sources. It's also from me too.

I love hearing how you go about your work! :)

I really like this! It's so interesting to hear about your "blank mind" approach. I keep putting off starting another piece because I don't think I have a concept yet but maybe I don't need one. Take your time, make some marks and ignore it for awhile. Sounds good to me.
Thank you Donna. I rarely like to do the same thing twice, or more, this keeps it open.

Hmm. I'm trying to decide which is more badass to me: this particular painting or hearing about how you paint! 😆

Love the colors in this one. Mysterious and murky depth. Beautiful!

Your setup and approach seem unique to me, so open. Dare I say, so zen? ❤

Hmm. I'm trying to decide which is more badass to me: this particular painting or hearing about how you paint! 😆

Love the colors in this one. Mysterious and murky depth. Beautiful!

Your setup and approach seem unique to me, so open. Dare I say, so zen? ❤
Thanks Terri! Just look at my hat, you know I'm badass! :LOL: It is kind of zen, I think this is the kind of mind Asian calligraphers look for before they attack the paper with a brush in one fluid motion. There's an artist/teacher named Michele Cassou who teaches her students the "magic of spontaneous" painting, worth reading. She helps them work out issues.
I don't think I could do a painting in one sitting. While I pretend I'm ignoring my painting, it's actually percolating in the back of my mind. Also remember I'm retired and have no production deadlines. ;)

(I wrote this Sunday and forgot to hit the post button :confused:)

This teacher sounds like someone I need to check out. I think I could benefit greatly! I don't think I could finish a painting in one sitting, either. My back issues don't allow me to stand too awfully long, but also I just seem to reach a point where it's best if I step away and, like you say, let things percolate. Not always, if I think I like where I'm headed - but sometimes things zig when I thought they'd zag, and I must pause and assimilate. :)

And your hat rules, of course. 💕

Cassou's books are on the big online book seller. She's inspirational and motivational, no techniques to be learned. Worth reading.

Interesting painting and process description.
Looks like a little Japanese calligraphy crept in at the middle right.
Like it.

Interesting painting and process description.
Looks like a little Japanese calligraphy crept in at the middle right.
Like it.
Thanks Trier. I like calligraphy, , illuminated manuscripts, etc. I like Japanese, Chinese and Sanskrit, I don't understand them, I just like the look. I've used Chinese and Sanskrit calligraphy in two other paintings. They lend an air of mystery. :)

(this may be cultural misappropriation, but it works in both directions)

Last edited:
Back