Another weird little collage

Terri

Supporting Member
Not sure I even like this one, but it was fun to do. I'm experimenting again with the bleeding tissue paper that was such a messy fiasco in my little art journal. I had some leftover 5x7" canvases from experiments while making the Last Will collage, so I thought I'd see how the bleeding tissue paper likes being used on a painted background.

I only used orange (the bottom layer) and yellow sheets, and used a fluid matte medium instead of water so I could glue them, as opposed to wetting with water and lifting off later. The colors certainly did run together but it was more controllable, and the background of brown acrylic paint showed through.

I had made a rough sketch first, then glued on the paper stem to kind of guide me for a center. I used double the amount of little petals I thought I'd need to make sure a bright yellow came out on top.

The first petal extension was by accident, so I just went with it and now I'm not sure if it's overdone. After it dried completely (a wet and sticky mess!) I glued the front of the pot and did the checkerboard with Prismacolor pencils. The paper bow came off a bag of peanuts! :LOL:

Sunflower in bleeding tissue paper, resized.jpg

All comments and C&C welcomed and very much appreciated. Thanks for looking! :)

This is not weird at all Terri - it's an eye-popping delight! I love how the brown of the background shows through the petals and adds depth. The paper bow is just perfect (and what a shame to throw those things out.) Your collage work is so inspiring and I'm glad you're having fun with the very experimental process.

That is really cool. The simplicity speaks volumes. The pot on the table is simply sublime. Great piece.

Donna, Wayne - thank you both so much! ❤️ I puzzled over this one so really appreciate your comments.

I absolutely love the glowing textures you achieved with those layers of orange and yellow over brown. Experimenting and using accidents with good taste appeals to me. 👏

Oh my goodness! I LOVE this! I love how the pedals are transparent. I love the checkerboard table the pot is one. I love everything about this! What a brilliant piece! ♥️ 😱

Hermes, Jo, Arty - many thanks for all the kind words! ❤️

I've felt ambiguous towards this one like I always do when there have been little accidents or mistakes. You all have made me feel a LOT better about it. Thank you all again, so much!!

Not sure I even like this one, but it was fun to do. I'm experimenting again with the bleeding tissue paper that was such a messy fiasco in my little art journal. I had some leftover 5x7" canvases from experiments while making the Last Will collage, so I thought I'd see how the bleeding tissue paper likes being used on a painted background.

I only used orange (the bottom layer) and yellow sheets, and used a fluid matte medium instead of water so I could glue them, as opposed to wetting with water and lifting off later. The colors certainly did run together but it was more controllable, and the background of brown acrylic paint showed through.

I had made a rough sketch first, then glued on the paper stem to kind of guide me for a center. I used double the amount of little petals I thought I'd need to make sure a bright yellow came out on top.

The first petal extension was by accident, so I just went with it and now I'm not sure if it's overdone. After it dried completely (a wet and sticky mess!) I glued the front of the pot and did the checkerboard with Prismacolor pencils. The paper bow came off a bag of peanuts! :LOL:

View attachment 36047

All comments and C&C welcomed and very much appreciated. Thanks for looking! :)
The petals are so interesting. Love the scale and balance, but those petals!

I love it too. Especially the texture and transparency of the petals. Not weird at all, it's wonderful!

Jennie, Jae, Sno, Kay - thank you all for the wonderful comments! ❤️ I'm so appreciative.

Thank you, Moscatel and Maybenartist - I so appreciate your kind words! ❤️

Thank you so much, Bongo!

"Tyranny of the frame" - I've not heard that phrase before and like it very much. ❤️

I like it, but I'm. finding it difficult to determine where your art truly "ends'. Is that corrugated background part of the actual art, or is is merely something upon which you laid your art for photographing. Those petals that extend over that corrugation won't be there in the final art, will they? What will you do--wrap them around the panel, or cut them off at the edge of it?

I've felt ambiguous towards this one like I always do when there have been little accidents or mistakes.
That's art. It's easy and obsessive for us to over analyze what we're doing. Accidents and mistakes should be there, I hate the idea of perfection. You've given us enjoyable art, thank you. :)

Back