Animal and Wildlife Challenge, June 2024

I had a go at the crested tit. It was done in a W & N 5 x 7 140CP sketchbook. Since it is too hot here this week to use my studio late in the day, I have a portable palette I take outside and do small pieces with a limited palette. This used Cobalt Blue, Quin Rose, Sap Green, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber. Using cotton paper made a huge difference in the results. Trying to do something faster with just a small brush helped me not fuss so much.

Crested Tit.jpeg

Nice Joy. I like it.

You can learn a lot by little quick paintings like this.

Crested Tit -- Pen and Ink version. This is about 5 1/2"x7 1/2" in XL Mixed Media Sketchbook. If I decide to add color, I'll post again.

Attachments

• 20240623Sk8 Crested Tit (Wildlife-Animal).png
    20240623Sk8 Crested Tit (Wildlife-Animal).png
    594.9 KB · Views: 6
Anne, that is really nice! I always enjoy when you add color,but I realize time may not permit.

Joy, wonderful work on your bird. It’s fresh and lively.
Anne, beautiful drawing. Looks like it’s ready to take off.

Thanks Joy, Christel and Sanlynn.

I was able to add color. I used Inktense scribbled on a palette and picked up with a damp brush.

20240623Sk8 Crested Tit (Wildlife-Animal)-Color.png

Oh, absolutely wonderful, Anne! Just the perfect amount of pigment.

Reactions: ams
Thanks to everyone who took part in June 👋

Joy - not at all overworked, your ostrich is beautiful! The eye is perfect. I love your crested tit too - I need to work on small pieces like this!

Christel - love your bird, I really like the softness of it and I like how you did the background.

Sanlynn - gorgeous, love the use of tinted paper and the white charcoal!

E. P. - fun sketches, thanks for doing all of them!

Anne - cute pup, I love the ears. Lovely bird aswell - great work on the feet. I find birds' feet really hard.

Anyone want to host for July?

you all made some wonderful paintings and drawings.

I have made a couple of drawings in the last few days, even if the month is over, I will add them, prepare the photos and upload them later.

Back