An introduction of sorts - how I met oil pastels and why we're still dating

Terri

Supporting Member
I'm new to this forum and thought I should post some work - I've been posting at WC until the recent announcement, but have still hit a lull in creativity. So older stuff it is!

I am first and foremost a photographer - film for me. I like to develop my own B&W film, make prints, and then take them to another place, what is called "alternative photographic techniques."

One of the things I enjoy is hand coloring silver gelatin prints with photo oils, and oil pencils. Some years back, a photographer I admire mentioned she started using oil pastels to paint her photos with. With the caution that they have little to no transparency, I thought I'd give it a try.

I took a shot with a Holga that didn't turn out at all - terrible exposure, sky is blown out. Ugh! This is an old electric plant on Lake Superior, Michigan:

Electric plant Lake Superior.jpg

But it did make a good shot to try oil pastels, so I took my new set of Cray-Pas Expressionists and colored it:

electricplantLkSuperior.JPG

Not the greatest, but I was intrigued with the oil pastels.

I tried something different. Instead of using one of my icky photo fails, I thought I'd just rummage around and be bold. I looked at this portrait I took of my husband that I had hand colored. He knew I was sketching and playing with these OP's and told me to "turn his portrait into a Picasso." He was joking, but I got inspired.

Here's the ref photo I used - this is a B&W photo I hand colored with Marshall's photo oils:

Brad at the festival, hand colored.jpg

And here is what I had, after many attempts to sketch something Picasso-like out with the oil pastels:

Brad realizes something, cropped.jpg

He laughed his head off, and wants more like this. Which ain't happening, but I did feel like I learned a lot and quit being so afraid of this medium. The fear-factor in me is very strong, self-taught (with a lot of help from the kind folks at WC!), but the fear has lessened and I'm not as twitchy to try things now.

Which is why OP's and I are still dating. Casually, but it could get serious some day. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for slogging through this intro post with me! I'm glad to have landed here.

Wow Terri, I am inspired! I really am. You make me want to pull out all my mundane Holga shots and get to coloring on them with oil pastels, or at least maybe start using some oil color pencils? What a great idea. I have never even thought of this brilliant idea before. I must steal it. Your pieces are excellent! I love them. The building on Lake Superior is beautiful, and your Picasso-inspired piece of your husband makes me joyful. Thank you thank you for posting this!

You spoke about being shy on trying mixed media in another forum, but here you are doing it. You are bold and brave. Great work! :) ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Super, both of them. I especially like the one of your husband. That's a winner!

Instead of oil pastels, you might want to consider Ceracolors. These are a cold wax medium that is water soluble. So you use them the way you would acrylics. And you can glaze till the cows come home! These are an ancient medium that is truly archival and they are highly versatile.

Wow Terri, I am inspired! I really am. You make me want to pull out all my mundane Holga shots and get to coloring on them with oil pastels, or at least maybe start using some oil color pencils? What a great idea. I have never even thought of this brilliant idea before. I must steal it. Your pieces are excellent! I love them. The building on Lake Superior is beautiful, and your Picasso-inspired piece of your husband makes me joyful. Thank you thank you for posting this!

You spoke about being shy on trying mixed media in another forum, but here you are doing it. You are bold and brave. Great work! :) ♥️ ♥️ ♥️
You are very kind. Thank you! In case you haven't figured it out by now, I wring my hands a lot over my artwork. 😆

What a great idea. I have never even thought of this brilliant idea before. I must steal it.

Isn't it Picasso who said, "Lesser artists copy. Great artists steal." ? 😉 Go for it!

If you do have some Holga prints laying around (go, you!), just consider the paper surface before applying anything oil based. Real silver gelatin prints with a matte surface would be great. Glossy would be okay with OP's, but pencils need some texture to bite into.

Would love to see you doing this!!! ❤

Instead of oil pastels, you might want to consider Ceracolors. These are a cold wax medium that is water soluble. So you use them the way you would acrylics. And you can glaze till the cows come home! These are an ancient medium that is truly archival and they are highly versatile.
Wow, I don't think I've heard of this medium. Sounds intriguing! I'm always interested in hearing about older media and archival properties in them. Thank you, Bartc! :)

Welcome bartc!

Terri, my Holga prints were printed with a matte finish. I'll have to check the paper they were printed on. I also have to find them...where do you think I put them? Ha ha ha.

Oh, that's easy! You simply put them in a drawer!

The question now is...which one???

O man the second is brilliant. when you show it. it must be showed with the reference.

O man the second is brilliant. when you show it. it must be showed with the reference.
Thank you, Lazarus! I agree, it should always be shown with the ref photo to get the best context. :)

Back