Actual Art Therapy?

I have been assigned certain things by my psychologist before, but not had art therapy per say. I know a couple of art therapists and art therapy programs taking place in mental health facilities and they are helpful. However, I don't think this article gives a good picture of what it's all about.

I have been assigned certain things by my psychologist before, but not had art therapy per say. I know a couple of art therapists and art therapy programs taking place in mental health facilities and they are helpful. However, I don't think this article gives a good picture of what it's all about.
What do you disagree with? And what would you say it's most helpful for?

I need a therapist/psychologist/something like that, and this looked interesting.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't disagree with anything in particular, only that it didn't give very much information. I'd like to know more about specifics. What might a therapist assign someone with anxiety, or trauma, or depression? I wonder if there are differences. How does the person not address general things? The art therapist I know is retired, but she worked at a facility. The other one I know still works at one for a resident space for the mentally ill and I have purchased works from a couple of those artists, some that didn't consider themselves artists at all and one who did. I do know the therapists need a Ph.D in psychology.

As a retired therapist (after over 50 years) let me take the risk of weighing in here. I have worked with a wide variety of therapists over the years including some art therapists. (Though I am both an artist and a therapist, I do not claim to do art therapy.)

There are many ways to facilitate obtaining information from a client, assisting in opening up communications, getting at feelings and other deeply held and important drivers of behavior, and guiding a client through change. It's amazing to me that people in my field with different methods can sometimes get rather territorial about their preferred practices and sometimes dismissive of others. None of that has great validity in my experience.

Art therapy is one valid way to guide people through all of the above gently and effectively. It's not the only way, by any means. In the hands of a skilled practitioner it can be quite effective.

If this appeals to you more than other therapies on offer, I would not persuade you otherwise. In fact, if you're feeling the need (or have been diagnosed or suggested as having the need for therapy), it's a reasonable place to start. Especially if you are nervous about opening up in therapy. Realize that it is a form of "talk therapy", whether or not you experience much verbal communication, as distinguished from a medication of surgical form of intervention. Some people at some stages really do need or can use the help of medication. IME, except in psychoses, I don't assume medication is necessary. But it can supply a floor under your emotions that may help calm you enough to engage in talk therapies, and the combination of both keeps turning up as most effective in the more common emotional issues that people have, namely depression and anxiety. You can certainly engage in art therapy without medication and there's no reason in general not to consider that option.

It's not about the art. It's about communication with yourself as much as with the therapist. And it's still crucial that you "fit" with the personality and methods of the therapist, regardless of what non-pharmaceutical practice they profess.

Decades ago I worked with a young woman for years who was suffering from schizophrenia. She would come visit me at a residential facility I was managing, though it took 18 months of intermittent visits before she felt she could enroll. She would flit in and out, and she went in and out of episodes, but even though she was barely verbally communicative, she would draw for me - her choice, I didn't tell her to. She would express her emotions and her hallucinations/delusions to me with her drawings. It was as good an indicator of her state of mind as any formal test I could have used. And at a later date when she was more verbally communicative and settled, we would use her artwork as a way to work out her problems. She gave me some of her artwork later on and I treasured it.

That is undoubtedly an extreme case and I don't claim it was formal "art therapy". Just an example of how using art to explore and communicate in therapy is quite viable, even in some rather difficult cases.

My only reason for writing this is to offer some hope of help to you. If it doesn't sit with you, then ignore it!

Bartc, that’s a cool example, and is now making me think this isn't for me? Idk. My logic here is literally "ooh art! I can practice painting and fix my brain while I'm at it!" but that's not really how it's gonna work?

I don't have a problem with "opening up" (or at least I don't think I do), I just need someone to help me figure crap out in a way I can understand. Something my last therapist was great at - and then they went out of business and I got so upset I avoided doctors for the next 5 years. Sigh...

It's amazing to me that people in my field with different methods can sometimes get rather territorial about their preferred practices and sometimes dismissive of others. None of that has great validity in my experience.
I think this kind of thing is idiotic in any form. Being faction-minded never helps anything. It sucks that even people who can't possibly not know better still fall into it.

No telling if you might be able to both practice art and "fix" your brain. Each practitioner will be a little different, and I don't want my impression to dissuade you at all. If you're feeling the need and you already have had a good experience, no reason not to try again. In any case, you would want to visit the therapist for an interview to determine if you fit, and that's where you would ask how he/she/they employ art therapy.

Hey, I've been in therapy for many years now, some specialized, and I still have major self-esteem issues and plenty of anxiety. But I will say I am MUCH better off than I used to be. If I didn't see progress, I wouldn't keep it up.

I live with a number of afflictions and real mental illnesses. I've had a lot of trauma, and it's probably difficult for my therapist to weed through the residual/effects of that combined with bipolar and the schizoid-effective disorders. Which is what with the latter? Who knows? My mother was also severely bipolar, and maybe worse because they didn't have the better meds back then. I'm managed on a good balance of meds along with weekly talk therapy (CBT/DBT).

I have not had specialized or what I would call "art therapy" per say, but have had a number of "assignments" from my therapist that included a drawings that I made into paintings only because I happen to be an artist. But I don't consider those things "art" or part of my regular repertoire. I think that is a whole different kind of thing IMO. Some of the therapy paintings/drawings I've done did seem kind of cool enough to me to display on my website and some of them I have put up for sale (and sold)--it depended on how they turned out, though they were very obviously personal. Most of them I have never shown anyone.

I agree with Bartc in that medication is not for everyone. It really depends on a case to case basis. But I think talking to someone is beneficial is almost every case. However, it can be tricky in finding the right therapist. It's a matter of both finding the right fit, and finding someone who is competent. I put my current therapist through the ringer before I started with her. She probably thought I was already a bit of a kook, as I really wanted to make sure she was right for me, and I am so glad I "interviewed" her in the way that I did.

My therapist long time ago had me do some art as a way to communicate and open up some doors since I'm deaf, and it wasn't easy to really open up. I guess it worked because soon after that I was doing better and no longer need a therapist for that particular reason. :) I guess it depends on the person. Everyone's unique. Also, because of that experience, I used art as self therapy when I was going through difficult teen years. It was what kept me sane. I wouldn't be here nowadays if it wasn't for art, so it has a special meaning to me. I know I'm not exactly on the topic, but still, I just wanted to say it can be beneficial in unexpected ways.

Arty, art is expression at heart. When we feel (or think about) something, it's what we put to canvas/paper/performance. Sure, it may not be inspired necessarily by something deep within us, just a fleeting view of something. None-the-less, art is a process of expression and not necessarily an object that results from it. So of course it fits with the therapeutic process formally and just informally inside yourself.

I find that I lose myself and my worries in a sort of meditative state when I paint. Those who watch me confirm that I "go somewhere else". And it appears the same to me in watching others in the creative process. It's lovely and it's calming in the end (not necessarily in the throes of creating), and it helps me center my life and get through my troubles. Same as the rest of you, I imagine.

Pretty much most of my family (and I see it coming from other generations too) were into creating art. My mother could handle many media: oil, watercolor, pencil, ceramics, stone - you name it and she could master it. Being a contrary kid, I only drew and kept away from what the rest of them did, which was painting, until I took up photography as an art form and a business too. Later finally allowed myself to do what my relatives had done and started painting and have never stopped! I'm glad I stopped rebelling and started painting, believe me.

I can't imagine how bereft my life would be had I not grown up with and taken up art. But luckily, I don't need to imagine that. And I encourage my kids and grandkids to do so. Helps that the "eye" has at least some genetic drivers in my family.

When I finish each painting I place it on my mantel and keep looking at it to learn from it. The kids and grandkids noticed that. So the other week my youngest - 4 years old - arrived with a colored pen drawing he had done and immediately insisted it join mine on the mantel. He figured out how things work, and the painting was very good for a 4 year old too!

I love kids art most of all. :)

That is wonderful that you have generations of artists going on. I didn't have that at all. No one in my family did any art of any kind. However, my dad encouraged my brother and I to take up music, so there was that.

I don't know how or why I made art since even before I can even remember (I made some art booklet of drawings when I was five). I do remember it being like a therapy for me. I'd get pretty disassociative while in the throws of it. There was a lot of chaos all around me. Lots of trauma, maybe borderline torture. I've got c-ptsd. Art is like everything to me. A life-saving medicine really whether it's for a serious exhibition or for something I'll never show anyone. I do think, even if people are not "artists" per say, art can save them from all kinds of things. I personally think it can extend life, reduce anxiety, maybe even increase memory and help dementia patients too.

I hear you Dminor7th! (is that it?). If it wasn't for art, I don't know how I would have made it through my childhood. :confused:
You're not the first one who thinks it stands for Dminor7th, but no. :) It stands for DreamMaster, an old nickname I had in early internet days. It evolved to DreamMaster7 and eventually got shortened to Dm7. I like it though because it keeps people guessing what it stands for. :D It's funny that way. Anyway, I'm glad you made it through. Art is a great blessing, isn't it?

Arty, art is expression at heart. When we feel (or think about) something, it's what we put to canvas/paper/performance. Sure, it may not be inspired necessarily by something deep within us, just a fleeting view of something. None-the-less, art is a process of expression and not necessarily an object that results from it. So of course it fits with the therapeutic process formally and just informally inside yourself.

Bartc, I like that you said "think" too. I'm not very emotional and wouldn’t know how to put my feelings into a painting if my life depended on it. Everything I do is just stuff I like or find interesting. Not very profound, I know 🙄

I found this. It has some use cases.

I wonder if an art therapist could help me learn how to put my feelings into a painting? Might be scary, lol.

Last edited:
Wow! Now that is a GREAT article about art therapy. How informative that was. Thank you for finding that AES.

I found it especially interesting--the thing about self-harming people making their own puppet and using it to express themselves. That is very interesting. When I was a kid, I had crippling social anxiety (I still kind of do), and I brought a hand puppet to school so I could talk to people. Ha ha ha! The teacher eventually took it away from me. :LOL:

Back