1-SELF

Artyczar

This was my first serious Artist's book. I made an edition of 50 and most of them sold. 1-SELF has a dual meaning here since garment patterns were often marked "1-self" for manufacturing. This book was purchased by the Getty Museum, Otis College of Art & Design, the Brooklyn Museum, Bibliotheque Kandinsky at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, UCLA Special Collections, and many others.

It includes a die-cut letterpressed cover, a different original watercolor in each, 14 archival (color) inkjet images, original block print insert, hand-cut collar pattern flysheet, and essays by art critics and other quotes that are letterpressed and interspersed throughout. The book is hand-stitched and comes in a tissue-type garment pattern lined box with a block print label.

binding.jpg

openbox.jpg

flypage.jpg

blockinsert.jpg

drawingpage.jpg

Love the books!
This was my first serious Artist's book. I made an edition of 50 and most of them sold. 1-SELF has a dual meaning here since garment patterns were often marked "1-self" for manufacturing. This book was purchased by the Getty Museum, Otis College of Art & Design, the Brooklyn Museum, Bibliotheque Kandinsky at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, UCLA Special Collections, and many others.

It includes a die-cut letterpressed cover, a different original watercolor in each, 14 archival (color) inkjet images, original block print insert, hand-cut collar pattern flysheet, and essays by art critics and other quotes that are letterpressed and interspersed throughout. The book is hand-stitched and comes in a tissue-type garment pattern lined box with a block print label.

View attachment 120

View attachment 119

View attachment 121

View attachment 122

View attachment 123

It is a kind of catalog of sorts. Here is a description:

This title suggests a dual meaning of both intimate self-expression and the artist's pattern-making background, since patterns were often marked "1-self" for manufacturing. The edition of only 50 copies includes a die-cut letterpressed cover, original watercolor, 14 archival (color) inkjet images, original block print insert, hand-cut collar pattern flysheet, and essays by Shana Nys Dambrot and Kristina Newhouse, with letterpressed quotes by the artist interspersed throughout. This book is hand-stitched, with a letterpressed Crane's embossed pinstripe cover, and comes in a tissue-type garment pattern lined box with a block print label. Actual book is 8.5 x 8 inches.

centerfold.jpg

cocoonpage.jpg

goldsteerpage.jpg

bookdrawings.jpg

beautiful,
it was as beautiful as it appeared (mi riferisco alla copertina ma anche a tutto quanto mostrato con i primi post, tutte le bellissime foto del libro ,la storia , la tasca all'interno del libro che era una delle sorprese che quindi si trovano all'interno del libro e mi erano piaciute molto , la tasca con la forbice, copertina e altresì tutto ciò che hai aggiunto i disegni , la sorta di college) and it was nice to know its content. thank you

beautiful,
it was as beautiful as it appeared (mi riferisco alla copertina ma anche a tutto quanto mostrato con i primi post, tutte le bellissime foto del libro ,la storia , la tasca all'interno del libro che era una delle sorprese che quindi si trovano all'interno del libro e mi erano piaciute molto , la tasca con la forbice, copertina e altresì tutto ciò che hai aggiunto i disegni , la sorta di college) and it was nice to know its content. thank you

(I refer to the cover but also to everything shown with the first posts, all the beautiful photos of the book, the story, the pocket inside the book which was one of the surprises that are therefore found inside the book and I liked them a lot, the pocket with the scissor, cover and also everything you added the designs, the sort of college)

Thank you Joe, and Sno for the rest. :) I really appreciate it. I haven't made a new book in a long time and have been thinking about it. I don't have the funds right now, but you never know. I may make a new book if I get the hankering. The last one I made was 2017. I used to be pretty stead on every couple years.

Back