Working with Art Consultants - need some info

Bartc

Having just retired from full time work, I'm looking forward to painting more. I have been nosing around the business of selling my artwork and have an entree to two local "art consultants".

I know how galleries work, fairs, etc. But I have no idea how art consultants do their thing. So I have some questions, and probably need to know whatever else I haven't thought to ask:
- How to they usually represent your art?
- How do they get paid and how much commission?
- Do they actually place your art (even if in realty deals), or do they just catalogue it somehow?
- Do they handle the sales, taxes, etc. at all, or do they just make a connection and leave it all to the artist?
- Is it customary to demand an exclusive to rep the artist, or the particular pieces, or do they not?

Anything else you can tell me from experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

I didn't know art consultants generally represented artists. I always thought they gave you advice, kind of like a therapist or a mentor. That is the only kind of consultant I have worked with. However, I do know someone who also helps artists sell and they also "represent" some of their work too, but I don't think it's exclusive. Their commissions vary. It could depend on the sale.

Placing your art? Do you mean in a collection? I don't know what you mean by "realty" deals. And by a catalog, I think you mean on a website? I would guess they better have your work on some kind of website to show their clients.

I know they don't handle YOUR taxes. And they would not allow their connections to just get run off by you. If there is money to be made for them, they would make the sale themselves, and send you your cut afterward. But you have to report your taxes. If they are are handling the sales taxes, then they are the retailer and you don't have to pay those.

Every negotiation is unique and different. You don't have to be exclusive to anyone. There's a certain fairness about exclusivity regarding paintings however, depending on how they are being presented, etc. You might be subject to a timeframe on specific paintings for a while depending on contracts.

Art reps and consultants are two different things (in my view).

Ayin, up here they call themselves 'art consultants' and claim to represent collectors/museums/corporate offices and suggest paintings/artists to them. Maybe some do classic representation, suppose that's individual. Some of them appear really to be part of the real estate sale staging process providing decor for open houses, others not. I don't believe they are coaches, but one never knows!

When I said sales and taxes I meant the sales taxes, not personal income tax. You're undoubtedly right about how they handle the transactions between buyer and artist.

Thanks for the info.

I don't think fine artists need agents, but that's me. Galleries work as agents in a way. A good gallery is trying to place your work in all kinds of collections. They already take 50%. An agent would take additional money!

Sorry I couldn't help you more Bart.

OK, well that info still helps, Ayin. My idea was someone who might have more direct contact/business with collectors/buyers, but who knows.

I have artist friends that keep saying "Instagram". And a woman that liked my work asked if I was on it. I'm not. I'm not ready for that myself.

Yeah, John. I'm not looking to have to feed the beast daily just to hope to sell something. That's why I'm seeking either a gallery or some sort of intermediary. I've been selling all my life and that is NOT my idea of my retirement activity.

I guess when I think of art consultants, I think of firms that give consultations and advice to artists. Sometimes they can help them place their art if they have a kind of representation component, but I really don't know how they work in terms of allowing those artists to work with their galleries.

Here are a couple of firms I know that do this. One is in the LA area, and the other moved up north last year or so:

Shoebox: They also have artist management.
McLean Art Projects: which now is also connected up with a brick and mortar gallery as well.

You can at least look over their sites to see the kinds of services they offer. McLean I know has placed artists work in all kinds of collections.

There's also another place whom I've worked with in the past: Chandra Art Advisory. They are in the Bay area.

I don't know if these are the kinds of places you were thinking of.

EDIT: I can also look around for "galleries" ...they are not really galleries, they are reps that don't have a gallery, but represent artists. I forgot what they are called technically. I will take a look for you though.

For many years I had an agent who found evening work for me as art critic, lecturer or demonstrator to art clubs and societies in the home Counties of England. I could have had them further afield if I'd wanted but I restricted it to places where I only had perhaps to stay overnight without long journeys. My agent proved to be a good source of income.
John

Yah, so where do I find such an agent, Mill?????? That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm sad to say thay I didn't have to find her, she found me through my working for Winsor & Newton plus the fact that I used to go to an Annual Art Suppliers Show every year in London. I demonstrated on a stand put on by a firm which ran Art Holidays Courses in France and Italy. So she could see that I could do what was needed.

Art consultants are professionals who help individuals and organizations make informed decisions about purchasing and displaying art. They typically work with clients to assess their needs, preferences, and budget and then recommend specific pieces or collections of art that align with those factors. Here are some additional details that may be helpful:

• Art consultants can work with various clients, including individual collectors, corporate clients, and public institutions such as museums or galleries.
  • They may have expertise in a particular type of art, such as contemporary art or African art, or they may have a broad knowledge of various styles and mediums.
  • Art consultants may provide various services, including art appraisals, framing and installation services, and advice on conservation and restoration.

Back