WIP Scratchboard

Wow, sno! Incredible! (as usual.) Great work. You're back to work and things are looking amazing. If it's not done, it sure looks it. I still have a scratchboard that I have yet to unwrap! Maybe one day.

Thank you Arty. You know me, I always pick at artwork for a while after it is "finished". 😁

Wow, sno! Incredible! (as usual.) Great work. You're back to work and things are looking amazing. If it's not done, it sure looks it. I still have a scratchboard that I have yet to unwrap! Maybe one day.
Well, you've been kind of busy but the nice thing about starting a scratchboard is that, like pencil, you can lay it down and come back to it later. No paint drying on the palette.

Breath taking !
Wonderful execution and a powerful presence.
Almost could be an etching by one of the masters, IMHO.

Why yes, yes I did work on it some more (and see a few places I want to polish even yet) so here tis now. I softened his wrinkles a bit.

oldmanSB.jpg

Thanks Wayne. He is just an old man I found on the Interweb. If he is a friend of yours or a relative, please apologize to him for me. :LOL: ;)

This is a poignant, dramatic portrait, Snoball! I love the far-off look in his eyes. You can tell he's wise. He looks like he'd have stories to tell. Well done!

Sno, your scratchboard work reminds me of the soot scratching craft I liked to do as a boy. It consisted of blackening white porcelain dinner plates and tiles over a candle until the whole front surface was black. I would then scratch designs through the soot with a toothpick or even a needle to give white lines. When I was happy with the result, I would preserve it by carefully dropping about a tablespoon of varnish onto the centre of the plate or tile and twist and turn it to coat the soot evenly before leaving it to dry. The results were often very attractive and made popular gifts for aunts and other adults in my life.

Sno, your scratchboard work reminds me of the soot scratching craft I liked to do as a boy. It consisted of blackening white porcelain dinner plates and tiles over a candle until the whole front surface was black. I would then scratch designs through the soot with a toothpick or even a needle to give white lines. When I was happy with the result, I would preserve it by carefully dropping about a tablespoon of varnish onto the centre of the plate or tile and twist and turn it to coat the soot evenly before leaving it to dry. The results were often very attractive and made popular gifts for aunts and other adults in my life.
I never heard of this Hermes, but it sounds like the same principle and I'll bet your treasures, or at least some of them are still around. ❤️

I never heard of this Hermes, but it sounds like the same principle and I'll bet your treasures, or at least some of them are still around. ❤️
It is a wonderful craft for kids, because mistakes can be erased by selectively smoking the botched area and trying again. I was a real little arty nerd then and loved doing this. Now I am a big arty nerd.

Back