Wip - Grisaille

wirfi

Grisaille as an underpainting - anyone else using the technique? I'm just trying it out. Snapshot from the studio last night, using my cellphone (not the best quality). Btw, I'm going to buy a new easel soon - this is very unstable, just the other day I had a painting fall over me ;)

IMG_20220521_013109.jpg

A good studio easel is very important!

This is stunning so far. I do a bit of underpainting but probably not in the same way. What sort of paint do you use for it?

A beautiful painting so far - I do like the black & white look of the under painting as is. Can't wait to see where you go from here

A good studio easel is very important!

This is stunning so far. I do a bit of underpainting but probably not in the same way. What sort of paint do you use for it?
Yes, I'm waiting on an inheritance after my uncle, and then I'm going to buy a new easel :) The one I use now was created by my moms husbands father in the 90's, he was a furniture carpenter. As far as I know it was the only easel he ever built. It has after that been abused and stored in cellars and such.

For the colours I useds Ivory black from the old swedish brand Beckers, and some Titanium white.
It is a bit awkward in this though because it has a previous attempt for an oilpainting on the canvas underneath, so I need to go very fat. Already in this layer I use pure linseed oil. Next layer perhaps poppy seed oil. If I need more layers, I have some oil of cloves I could add in the poppy seed oil.

How interesting! I just love this in its current rendition (but then I shoot a lot of B&W photography!). I'll be watching your progress here as you layer on your colors. This is a gorgeous start.

I've been through many many easels. If you want to talk about which brands I have probably used them before. I don't know what's available for you in your country, but I have had to go through a lot because of moving into many different studios and have had to accommodate different ceiling heights. Now I'm back to an old Mabef and had to chop off the top of the mast :( but it is working for me in my office, which has an 8-foot ceiling. I've been through much larger easels before though.

That s a very beautiful grisaille!
I frequently use a grisaille and the challenge always is to make the painting as beautiful in color as in b&w.

This is a beautiful painting just as it is! Are you ever tempted to stop here?

Your drawing skills are crazy over the hill dead on. In old man language.. they are second to none

Back