Why do I admire this?

I never thought too much about Franz Kline. I knew he was famous for his large format black and white paintings. Then one day it hit me. Do the antithesis of Kline. Whereas one of his B&W works could be 5 foot on a size, paint similar but only 5 inches. This was the result of a couple of days work.
A Tribute to Franz Kline_sm.jpg

16 small tributes pasted on a 22x30 sheet of watercolour paper. "A Tribute to Franz Kline"

Regarding the OP... sorry, but I don't know why you admire that painting. :) Like most ab ex work it's a mess. Sure there is some color and form but it's a sloppy dashing of paint by some drunk. Yeah, it's fun for the artist, heck I've drunkenly splashed paint also. Great fun. I'm really expressing my drunken state well.

Sometimes I think we admire some paintings simplybecause we saw it before, and something resonates.
A little bit of remembering brain matter gets a jolt and we like it because of the subconscious familiarity.

Togo back to what Musket said, sometimes I think I like "sloppy" abstracted paintings because I think it's something I can do. Like I better not let myself to like Vermeer too much because, damn, I can't do that and besides it's too much work. If all one has is a hammer everything looks like a nail. That's sort of one reason I recently tried some real realism. To get me off the hook of this possible bias. Now that it's out my system I doubt I'll do it again. Abstraction is both more fun for me to do and to look at.

But the drunken ab ex slaps of paint? Like in the OP? No. Sorry as much as I try to like that stuff it just doesn't grab me. I guess I need just little more structure and less chaos. Like John's example above.

Why do we like certain kinds of art? May as well ask why we are who we are. They are related.

Why do we like certain kinds of art? May as well ask why we are who we are. They are related.

youtube.com/watch?v=2A0wabip2Do

Cover art by artist Lane Smith

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey John, different strokes for different folks.
I’d love to see one of your abstract pieces.
Here is another cliche: a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thank you in advance.

I believe it's up to the viewer, not the artist, how the guts are spilled.
Allow me to disagree. I believe that it’s a combination of both. Let’s leave the “spilling the guts” thingy for a moment or two. Expressionism in all its forms is purposely intended to evoke certain emotions.

Hang on a sec here, I’m a little confused. I thought that John and John Emmett were NOT one and the same....Was I wrong?

I never thought too much about Franz Kline. I knew he was famous for his large format black and white paintings. Then one day it hit me. Do the antithesis of Kline. Whereas one of his B&W works could be 5 foot on a size, paint similar but only 5 inches. This was the result of a couple of days work.
View attachment 6203

16 small tributes pasted on a 22x30 sheet of watercolour paper. "A Tribute to Franz Kline"
These are very interesting. The whole idea is interesting in fact.

Hey John, different strokes for different folks.
I’d love to see one of your abstract pieces.
Here is another cliche: a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thank you in advance.

Yes, if everyone agreed on what is good art it would be a boring world. I'm afraid I got too opionated again. But you did ask why you liked that painting. :) You're not alone. Many people like Kline and similar. I happen to like this painting, which most people hate..

Vine-Hi-Paul.jpg

Stella Vine

I'm really a bored landscape painter so I did this painting earlier this year at the start of the pandemic to try something different. Not very ab exy but it's as close as I get. I needed more bourbon.

IMG_20200315_202803.jpg

The Abstract expressionist painters I like, all had early training and accomplishments in realistic, figurative work. Franz Klein included. Others of such that come to mind, Cezanne, Picasso, Matisse, Kandinsky, Klee,
Helen Frankenthaler, Diebenkorn, and so on. I feel that in order to successfully abstract, an artist should have felt some measure of success with technical skill and craft in figurative expression.
How can one gain “freedom from representational qualities in art”, unless they were first enrapt in it?

little realism is necessary to understand and go beyond

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if everyone agreed on what is good art it would be a boring world. I'm afraid I got too opionated again. But you did ask why you liked that painting. :) You're not alone. Many people like Kline and similar. I happen to like this painting, which most people hate..

Vine-Hi-Paul.jpg

Stella Vine

I'm really a bored landscape painter so I did this painting earlier this year at the start of the pandemic to try something different. Not very ab exy but it's as close as I get. I needed more bourbon.
I like it a lot John!! With or without bourbon!

View attachment 6220

Anyway, I also happen to like Kline’s work because it shows power and passion and as one quote said, “it was as solid as a steel girder and as lyrical as a poem dashed off with a quill pen and India ink.” But then I wonder...does the power come from its massive size and does the passion come from the gestural quality?

And does the impact come from the somber black? The color of death? But then white is the color of death to the Japanese... so is our impact to a work of art the result of our prior knowledge and experience... including our cultural upbringing? If we return to Van Gogh I have to wonder about my response to a painting like this:

View attachment 6162

I suspect my response to this might be far less angst-laden... far less tortured... if I were not aware of Van Gogh's tragic life story.

SLG, with much due respect, you chose the absolute wrong example here. Vincent work is so much about visual “gut spilling” and/or “soul exposing” by means of gestural brush strokes, arbitrary coloring, heavy texture and more, that only a viewer who’s completely unable of emotional reaction will be left unaffected. What Vincent applied to his canvases is obviously the result of what he’s been through in his short life, but it is completely unnecessary to know the details thereof in order to feel what needs to be felt while viewing his work.

Back