When Your Idea Exceeds Your Skillset?

JessieNebulous

Do you guys know that feeling when you get an idea for a piece that you love but you don't quite have the necessary skill set to execute it properly? That happened to me today, and while it's shown me where I can focus to improve my skills, overall it's left me feeling very discouraged.

I had an idea for a castle on a floating island held aloft by birds set against a cloudy night sky with a full moon. Problem is, I have very little experience with buildings, and while the sketch looked pretty good, as soon as I started adding color, well... my castle looks like a tiered cake. And I don't think it's just the initial ugly phase you often get with paintings either. I unintentionally painted a cake, no 2 ways about it.

So, while I do plan to do some castle studies and build up my skill set and return to this idea later, currently I feel rather bummed out. I was just hoping you guys can relate.

So, while I do plan to do some castle studies and build up my skill set and return to this idea later, currently I feel rather bummed out. I was just hoping you guys can relate.
Definitely can relate. One thing I have noticed is that I can acquire the skills I need relatively quickly, once I know what needs development or practice. So I remind myself of that when I aim a little too high :)

Do you guys know that feeling when you get an idea for a piece that you love but you don't quite have the necessary skill set to execute it properly?
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
...yes.

Anyway, a layer cake castle? You mean like this?
D071BB22-8C45-4824-A18A-9FB7F3B2FC2E.jpg

https://www.disneyeveryday.com/flashback-friday-cinderella-castle-dressed-as-a-25th-birthday-cake/ :D

Oh yes, I'm very familiar with that feeling!

Usually with me there's a point at which the painting is looking really promising, which only increases my hope that it's going to turn out well. And then I ruin it!

I'm quite tenacious though, and after the initial disappointment, I'll often look at the failure and figure out what went wrong and how I might correct it. Then I start again with a clearer idea of how to avoid the glaring mistakes. Unfortunately I usually then make a whole load of new mistakes, but hey, that's what learning is all about!! 😁

I sometimes paint 2 versions of the same thing simultaneously, knowing that I'll be binning the worse one. If one goes really badly it makes me feel less critical of the better one!!

Oh yes, I'm very familiar with that feeling!

Usually with me there's a point at which the painting is looking really promising, which only increases my hope that it's going to turn out well. And then I ruin it!

I'm quite tenacious though, and after the initial disappointment, I'll often look at the failure and figure out what went wrong and how I might correct it. Then I start again with a clearer idea of how to avoid the glaring mistakes. Unfortunately I usually then make a whole load of new mistakes, but hey, that's what learning is all about!! 😁

I sometimes paint 2 versions of the same thing simultaneously, knowing that I'll be binning the worse one. If one goes really badly it makes me feel less critical of the better one!!
I aim to do the same, in focusing on the area in need of improvement. Problem with me is I rarely finish my second attempts because when the novelty of the idea fades, I lose interest in the project altogether. It's definitely something I need to work on!

If we didn't aspire to higher goals we'd still be living in caves waiting for lightening to start a fire so we could cook our veggies and carrion. For years before I started actually painting I kept a book with a picture that I wanted to paint, and finally felt competent to do it just 3-4 years ago. (It was actually my inspiration to start (and continue) on this long road.) Your question now makes me wonder how I would have fared if I had tried it 40 years ago.
Two years ago --2019--I started to do my version of another painting I love, and hadn't been able to do a recognizable charcoal sketch of. Shortly, due to illness, I could not continue to work on it. Your question is prompting me to pull them out --the original and my version--of their box to begin working on it again. And I will, soon, but I have another long project with several learning goals I've been working on and choose to keep at. It also prompts me to buy a tube of paint or two that I wasn't going to because of price, and the fact I have a few hues that MIGHT work instead.

If we didn't aspire to higher goals we'd still be living in caves waiting for lightening to start a fire so we could cook our veggies and carrion. For years before I started actually painting I kept a book with a picture that I wanted to paint, and finally felt competent to do it just 3-4 years ago. (It was actually my inspiration to stat on this long road.) Your question now makes me wonder how I would have fared if I had tried it 40 years ago.
Two years ago --2019--I started to do my version of another painting I love, and hadn't been able to do a recognizable charcoal sketch of. Shortly, due to illness, I could not continue to work on it. Your question is prompting me to pull them out --the original and my version--of their box to begin working on it again. And I will, soon, but I have another long project with several learning goals I've been working on and choose to keep at. It also prompts me to buy a tube of paint or two that I wasn't going to because of price, and the fact I have a few hues that MIGHT work instead.
I made this post mostly to prompt conversation, but the fact it's motivating you to actually restart an old unfinished work is genuinely awesome! I'd love to see it, either now or later when you get a chance to work on it.

I'm younger, so I can't quite relate to the idea of waiting 40 years to execute a work, but I often wonder where I'd be in my skill level if I didn't stop drawing for about 5 years. I developed a convulsive condition in my late 20's, and while I'm on a good med regimen now and don't have many symptoms, for a while my fine motor skills took a hit. Strength still isn't great so I get fatigued, but my control is pretty good most of the time. I do wonder sometimes where I could be without my limitations, but mostly I'm glad to just still be doing art at all. But I think I can relate to what you're saying in that respect, about lost time and delayed progress.

Skills starts in your minds. when you get to your limit? start push more. how? imagine or in other words use your power of mind.

This happens to me all the time! Learning patience with myself and my art when things like this happen has been a huge challenge, but I think everyone goes through this sort of thing from time to time. It's all a part of the process. When this happens to me I try to pick out the parts of the piece I did like, and the parts I didn't, and try to learn from those things. It can definitely be demoralizing, but don't let it stop you from trying again and working out the kinks! 😁

This is also a great place to post art like that and get feedback, I think!

When I feel like that, I know it's more a matter of patience than skill. It might be a bit of skill. I don't usually imagine much realism, but when I want to add bits of realism, which I sometimes do, it's a matter of taking the time. It's all time and patience. I feel like, if I want to add a realistic brain, or a kitchen sink--or an animal or human extremity (which are the hardest for me), or a building (pain in the ass!), then I just need a reference. I know I can do it if I have some kind of reference. I can not draw realism out of my head; I think few people can.

When I feel like that, I know it's more a matter of patience than skill. It might be a bit of skill. I don't usually imagine much realism, but when I want to add bits of realism, which I sometimes do, it's a matter of taking the time. It's all time and patience. I feel like, if I want to add a realistic brain, or a kitchen sink--or an animal or human extremity (which are the hardest for me), or a building (pain in the ass!), then I just need a reference. I know I can do it if I have some kind of reference. I can not draw realism out of my head; I think few people can.
Oh yes, reference and patience are very important for any kind of realism. The former I have. It's the latter I definitely have to work on! Another problem I have is that if I don't move quickly enough on a project, it loses its novelty and I grow bored, and often abandon it. It's hard for me to maintain enthusiasm for an idea over an extended period of time, and I know that's negatively affecting my work.

I think your floating castle is a great idea and hope we get to see it here someday. I feel like I always bite off more than I can chew, especially if there is any kind of building or structure involved. Would it be helpful if you stacked some boxes to get the general castle shape you’re thinking of to do a drawing from? Maybe then you could add the turrets etc. to give it the castle look.

An art teacher once told us......"There is no elevator to success, everyone must take the stairs."
Perfect!

I, too, have these issues. One will always have an intellectual understanding that exceeds ones abilities. That is why it is so easy to critique your own work. If a subject is too intimidating, I may just practice parts of the whole.

BTW, love the Cinderella Castle photo! I was there and saw it in person during the 25th celebration.

If you are getting bored and lack enthusiasm I think maybe ask yourself
why am I making art right now.

I aim to do the same, in focusing on the area in need of improvement. Problem with me is I rarely finish my second attempts because when the novelty of the idea fades, I lose interest in the project altogether. It's definitely something I need to work on!
I know if it's age (I'm 51) or experience or a combination of both, but in the last couple of years, I find that I'm much more willing to make a second attempt at something. Some (not all) projects seem to be worth that effort, but when I was younger/less experienced, no projects were. <shrug>

Back