What art piece do you need to FINALLY finish?

PaintBoss

Contributing Member
Here is mine. From 2012 people! I just get so bored of painting the pine needles and then the rocks. I’ve had rocks. I’ve had a lot more painted down there and they looked ok but they weren’t pleasing to me. So I need to try it again. This large piece is quite nice on the wall already, so I really want to get it done. And my father-in-law, who is now gone five years, always wanted to see it finished. I think he wanted to buy it from me…Anyways he loved it, so we will never get rid of it.
I think my style has moved on from this too, but I’ve got to get it done. I have not done many landscapes in any medium. It’s not my strength. And as I get older, I just adore wonderful landscapes -they take me away. But I’m not even near that.I need to loosen up.
Anyone else out there have paintings or pieces that are just begging to get done and you’ve been meaning to, that are just gathering dust?
PS I’m sure some of you remember this piece because I’ve complained about it before years ago, elsewhere. I think I might just have to go at it like it’s a commission for someone else.
IMG_6428.jpeg

What a gorgeous painting, PaintBoss! I can see why it's calling out to be done again. Even if you can't duplicate it exactly it could have the same feel. I love the light on those rocks and could look at this all day. I have a friend who insists that turning your reference upside down is an excellent way to loosen up. I haven't tried it yet but it seems that you would focus more on shapes and less on details.

That is good advice. My reference photo is not that great when it comes to the areas of the rocks -there’s a lot of grasses and it’s kind of blurry. But I have gathered references from other photographs, that I think it will help. I know turning work upside down is a great way to see where your mistakes are. It just gives you a fresh eye.
I’m glad you like it. I don’t mean to blow my own horn but it is a very striking on the wall so I’ve got to get it done. It deserves to be finished. It’ll be a waste just to let it go.
Thank you so much for your compliment.

Last edited:
Thank u. It’s just the big area of rock where the tree is based out of that I have to finish as far as rocks go. Then it’s finishing the trees.

Years ago I used to work on several paintings at the same time... and I had the bad habit of abandoning them when I became frustrated with them. Some 20+ years ago I started working in collage...

102BachSuite7Ghost Sonata.forshow.jpg

I learned a lot from these. Part of what I learned had to do with composition/design... but perhaps most importantly I learned how to finish the work... one at a time. Advice given by one of my Art School painting teachers finally kicked in. He told us that starting a new painting is easy... the real challenge is battling through the "ugly stage" and finishing it. The only art piece I need to finish is the painting I am working on right now. For better or worse I haven't abandoned a painting for years.

That’s fantastic and so true. The ugly stage or the stage where you’re struggling is where you learn the most when you get past it and complete it. This is the only piece I’ve abandoned. I just find it tedious. I’m usually very, very good at sticking with things that are unpleasant and extreme patience. I’m going to get back to it as soon as I have the strength.

I see that I misunderstood when you said you need to try this again. I thought you were going to try to replicate it. If it’s already up on your wall and looks so good I’d be afraid of wrecking it. If a few small touches would help you feel it’s finished then maybe it’s worth the risk.

Thanks Donna , I already painted over a whole bunch of rocks. I did. I’m not scared of wrecking it. I’m scared of just not finishing it.🙂

I think leaves or flowers must be very difficult to do, this piece is done at its best it's already fantastic so intricate and hypnotic.

PaintBoss, this is already so striking as it is, but I understand you want to "finish" it. It's truly beautiful!

I have many I need to finish. I abandoned the series I started well over a year ago because I got dates for a solo show for other work. But now I'm slowly addressing the "old" series again. I hate calling it that because it was my new series. I had five of them already and wanted to get at least twelve of them accomplished. These are some of the others I need to finish. Some are just sketches at this point.

mominmexico372.jpg

goldenchildmockup.jpg

momanddadSIN.jpg

meandmikeDRAWN.jpg

I have a good dozen that are finished but need a minor correction or two. This one is even framed and hanging up, but it bugs me that the pool cue is a bit short. Easy fix, but I just never get around to doing it.
"Loose Rack" 30"x 15" acrylic on panel.
Loose Rack.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I used to work on several paintings at the same time... and I had the bad habit of abandoning them when I became frustrated with them. Some 20+ years ago I started working in collage...

View attachment 42166

I learned a lot from these. Part of what I learned had to do with composition/design... but perhaps most importantly I learned how to finish the work... one at a time. Advice given by one of my Art School painting teachers finally kicked in. He told us that starting a new painting is easy... the real challenge is battling through the "ugly stage" and finishing it. The only art piece I need to finish is the painting I am working on right now. For better or worse I haven't abandoned a painting for years.
This is the way i've always worked also. One painting at a time, worked till finished. Lately I've been in a rut so trying to break out of that and try another way. Gotta say has not been going good.

Thank you very much for the kind words and support of this painting, Sno, Joe, Arty. Thank you for sharing your pieces Bongo and Arty. Yeah I’ve had my painting up on the wall for a long time, it’s easier to store that way. Even though it is close to being done, and I could just let it go, I would not be satisfied with that. But it gave me an opportunity to live with it and figure out if there’s problems and what I want to do with it. So Bongo, I definitely understand having a piece up on the wall even if it’s not finished or if it’s bothering you🙂.
Arty, I am glad you are going back to this project. You are off to a strong start. Looks very promising!

I’ve been stuck on my oil painting of a forest scene for months. The trees just won’t look right! Life gets in the way, y'know? But reading everyone's stories here is so motivating. Maybe I'll finally get the courage to finish it this weekend. Fingers crossed! Anyone else struggle with nature scenes;)

Yup. I know what you mean when you do your trees and they just don’t look quite real enough. For some reason, I’ve just always struggled with them. I try to get on YouTube and watch really good artist who do trees. They can do them so fast too! Lol I recommend that.
Don’t give up on it. You put a lot of time into it and it’s a chance for a breakthrough. I find that’s what my struggles lead to if I just stick with it.

Here is mine. From 2012 people! I just get so bored of painting the pine needles and then the rocks. I’ve had rocks. I’ve had a lot more painted down there and they looked ok but they weren’t pleasing to me. So I need to try it again. This large piece is quite nice on the wall already, so I really want to get it done. And my father-in-law, who is now gone five years, always wanted to see it finished. I think he wanted to buy it from me…Anyways he loved it, so we will never get rid of it.
I think my style has moved on from this too, but I’ve got to get it done. I have not done many landscapes in any medium. It’s not my strength. And as I get older, I just adore wonderful landscapes -they take me away. But I’m not even near that.I need to loosen up.
Anyone else out there have paintings or pieces that are just begging to get done and you’ve been meaning to, that are just gathering dust?
PS I’m sure some of you remember this piece because I’ve complained about it before years ago, elsewhere. I think I might just have to go at it like it’s a commission for someone else.
View attachment 42146
Funny that! I've just posted in pastels about this exact problem. Good luck with your decision making.

Back