What are you up to?

Great images, Brian! What a fantastic place to ramble through and photograph. Love the critter action! They're all good, and the one with the ostrich heads and the last one make me laugh. I like your flying geese, too. Nice work!

This sounds exciting, Ellen! Congrats on moving to a larger place. The area sounds beautiful, with a lot of painting inspiration!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. It's hard to get inspired when you have to battle through the aches and pains just to get set up.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work with the beads, and the greeting cards sound fun! What kind of wax finish goes over that? 🤔 Like a cold wax medium?
I'll get some photos of my beadwork to post one of these days. I had tons of them but in a computer "death" I lost a lot of them.

I posted a photo in another area of the forums of the cougar my son caught on his game camera and I was very sad (but I do understand) when I saw this photo and story on Facebook awhile ago. I hope it wasn't our "resident cougar". But this one killed someone's goat, and the man carrying his body is 6'1" so you can see how huge these animals are. I can't help being very sad. They were here first and we do live in cougar country. The prey animals would be better enclosed in a shed or barn where the cats can't get them but I know it's not always possible. Anyway, where this one was killed wasn't that far from us as the crow flies and cougars do have a huge territory. I used to live in Cottage Grove and one of them tried to go into our pharmacy right downtown one day many years ago. He also used to sit on a hill and watch the town. I love cougars and can't help feeling grief over this loss. I wish there were some better way than to have to kill them, but they're ferocious, dangerous predators and if they're a problem, they really can't always just be relocated.

In northern California two brothers were attacked a couple days ago. One was killed and the other severely injured. The one I call our "resident" make sme quite nervous because there are children who live in this park, for one thing, and to see him prowling by over on the creek during the day or sitting and yawning at the hiking trail opening in the early morning really wasn't safe. Cougars don't usually show themselves to people at all, much less hang out around an RV park. Many of our residents walk their small pets on leashes and they do it sometimes after dark. I personally never go outside after dark. Big coward. lol Not really, I'm just very respectful of something that might like to eat a chubby granny for a midnight snack. The place I'm moving to has garbage cans with bear claw marks, too, because there's a mama black bear here who has been caught on game cameras.

On a lighter note, once a whole herd of elk came strolling up our creek. So there are elk the cougars up here can hunt but I don't know how easily they could bag an elk.

Attachments

• cg cougar killed.jpg
    cg cougar killed.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Wow, cougars are huge. We have one species of wild cat here, imaginatively called the wildcat. Very rare to see, they're restricted to just a few of the forests in Scotland. There's is a lot of conservation work going on to stop them going extinct, they have a tendency to breed with domestic cats and it's thought that there may be very few, or none at all, pure wildcats left. They are being bred in wildlife parks and released, but it's unclear as yet how they are really getting on. I've done a few wildcat surveys, setting up cameras, but have never been lucky enough to see one.

maybe not but ironically they give rise to the spikes on the roses .. connectivity.

Did I read once that you didn't care who painted using your photos as reference?

Yup, feel free to use any photos I upload anywhere - as far as I'm concerned they're in the public domain. Seeing as I find the public domain invaluable as reference, I like giving back to it bit. :)

Just getting back to the forum after a long time away. Sorry for my absence. It will take me a while to catch up, so please bear with me. ;) Hope everyone is doing well. ♥️
Happy to see you, my friend! ❤️ See, I didn't burn the place down - huzzah!

Everyone excited about coming spring, but here in the southern hemisphere signs of autumn are all round. In the garden, the last of the season's chafer beetles happily munching the last of the season's roses:

2024 Chafer beetles on rose DSC_8710.JPG

Grasses ripening:

2024 Grass flowers DSC_8845.JPG

And the forlorn wing of a grasshopper:

2024 Grasshopper wing DSC_8938.JPG

Probably my favorite time of year - the summer heat is gone, but not cold yet. Just lazy, mellow days. :)

Brian, I agree - the transitional seasons are the best!

We watched yesterday's eclipse from our back yard. We were told our area was 99.2% in the path of totality, and I believe it. It definitely grew darker. The light got very strange - dim, but with daytime-area shadows, not long evening shadows associated with the dim light. It seems a minor thing, but clearly our minds have this subtle stuff hard-wired. Something was "off."

The temperature dropped. The birds had been chattering wildly, then suddenly grew quiet. We were peering through our glasses and saw only a thin sliver of sun. Then I noticed the bizarre look of the tree shadows on our deck.

eclipse1.jpg

eclipse2.jpg

I was standing in the yard, and it looked as though a birch tree had just appeared on the deck. The bark effect is from the crescent of the eclipse, I guess, but it all was just quite surreal at the moment. It looked like it was glowing.

A few minutes later, the effect began to fade, and it got warmer and brighter. At the moment, it's back to being very sunny and warm out there. It was a fun experience.

Visited a local nature preserve. The skunk cabbage was bursting out of the ground as Spring arrives. This caught my eye.

1712711364066.png

"The skunk cabbage is a flowering perennial plant and is one of the first plants to emerge in the spring. The flowers appear before the leaves and are characterized by a mottled maroon hoodlike leaf called a spathe, which surrounds a knob-like structure called a spadix. The spadix is actually a fleshy spike of many petal-less flowers. As the flowers mature, the spathe opens more to allow pollinators such as flies and carrion beetles to enter and pollinate the flowers.

Skunk cabbage has a remarkable ability to produce heat that allows it to emerge and bloom even when the ground is still frozen. During the winter when temperatures are freezing, the flower buds can warm up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit, which melts the snow around the plant:

Brian - your nature photos are always so interesting, thanks for sharing. One day I'm going to buy that camera I keep threatening to buy and join in!

Terri - great photos of your trees during the eclipse. I've enjoyed seing the various photos online. The UK had an eclipse in 1999 (total i the south-west, slightly partial for me) and my main memory was how cold it got and how eerie the light was. It was pretty magical!

John - great photo. Skunk cabbage isn't native to the UK but it 'escapes' out of gardens and forms colonies, it can be a nuisance plant because it out-shades other things. I can't help but like it though, it's so weird!

Brian, I agree - the transitional seasons are the best!

We watched yesterday's eclipse from our back yard. We were told our area was 99.2% in the path of totality, and I believe it. It definitely grew darker. The light got very strange - dim, but with daytime-area shadows, not long evening shadows associated with the dim light. It seems a minor thing, but clearly our minds have this subtle stuff hard-wired. Something was "off."

The temperature dropped. The birds had been chattering wildly, then suddenly grew quiet. We were peering through our glasses and saw only a thin sliver of sun. Then I noticed the bizarre look of the tree shadows on our deck.

View attachment 39894

View attachment 39895

I was standing in the yard, and it looked as though a birch tree had just appeared on the deck. The bark effect is from the crescent of the eclipse, I guess, but it all was just quite surreal at the moment. It looked like it was glowing.

A few minutes later, the effect began to fade, and it got warmer and brighter. At the moment, it's back to being very sunny and warm out there. It was a fun experience.

That's very interesting Terri. It just occurred to me that this was probably the pinhole camera effect? At any rate your pic of this is the first I've heard of this phenomena which is surprising.

Found this article about it. https://fox59.com/news/national-wor...-shaped-shadows-that-occur-during-an-eclipse/

Great link, John - thanks for this! :)

Yup, anything with little holes or that will have the same effect can be used to view the eclipse. If you Google "eclipse pinhole camera effect" you'll see plenty of examples, including this cool one, done with a colander:

Image0013crop.jpeg

No doubt the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster will approve.

Of course, a pinhole is not only good for viewing eclipses; when the sun shines through it, forming an image, you are observing the sun. But the image is too small to be of much interest. It's not like you can see sunspots this way, except perhaps unusually large ones. :)

Pinhole cameras are fun things in a general sort of way. Here's a blog post from many moons ago, when I played around with one:

Well, waddya know, I see one can indeed possibly observe sunspots with a pinhole camera:

Back