What are you up to?

brianvds

A thread for stuff that isn't necessarily art-related, but perhaps share-worthy. Like these photos I took this morning during a walk in a local nature area... :)

Last season's weaver bird nests. They'll soon start building new ones...

2020 DSC_0813.JPG

Spotted thick-knee:

2020 DSC_0814.JPG

Black-throated canary:

2020 DSC_0819.JPG

Hadeda ibis:

2020 DSC_0824.JPG

Wilderness footpath:

2020 DSC_0831.JPG

Cape sparrow:

2020 DSC_0837.JPG

Dolomite rocks, with typical "elephant skin" appearance:

2020 DSC_0838.JPG

Cape white-eye:

2020 DSC_0839.JPG

I've been taking breaks between computer stuff looking at these sparrow parents trying to get their little ones to fly out of the nest. They finally all made it. I couldn't take pictures because the nest was too hidden. But they sure were loud for the last month! (Four babies.)

In the meantime, I've been trying to build an online exhibit/sale to go out to my mailing list on Monday. I'm a little behind. :(

As a rule, the cutest baby animals are carnivores or omnivores. True, there are some cute herbivores, but not many by comparison.

Out on our little deck. They'll come for their peanuts and bird seed when we're sitting out there, quite unfazed as long as we don't make any sudden movements. If we do, the kits back into a corner and "go to jail" between the stiles, and mom backs off too, but that doesn't last long. The antics of the kits are endlessly entertaining.

These are actually two of last year's kits, with their mom, Mondego. Our favorite of her kits was Fi (pronounced Fee, as in Fiona) whose favorite gear was reverse. She was always backing into things-- the deck chairs, the potted plants, her mom and her sibs.

P1040398.JPG

Last edited:
Raccoons have personalities as distinctive as dogs. Mondego was feisty. When she would get hold of the hummingbird feeder, she was loathe to relinquish it. Talking to them is important.

"Mondego," I would say, "you know you can't have that. Give it back."

Her expression was, "You and what army?" But eventually she did.

Shake, this year's mom, is calm, dignified, and friendly. Her five kits, Rattle, Roll, Jump, Jive and Wail, are very obedient to her, though Jump, the smallest (who got stuck between the potted plants) is more rambunctious than her sibs.

Are you keeping one?

Nope, don't have room for a dog where I stay, and I don't want the responsibility anyway. Plus, the cat that allows me to live in her apartment and serve her will definitely not allow it. :D

The pups are all going to good homes, except one that they'll keep for their daughter. Their German shepherds are pets but also working dogs, and all are extensively trained in the personal protection business. You do NOT want to enter their property without permission, or try to rob my sister-in-law while she's out walking her dogs. :)

Nope, don't have room for a dog where I stay, and I don't want the responsibility anyway. Plus, the cat that allows me to live in her apartment and serve her will definitely not allow it. :D

The pups are all going to good homes, except one that they'll keep for their daughter. Their German shepherds are pets but also working dogs, and all are extensively trained in the personal protection business. You do NOT want to enter their property without permission, or try to rob my sister-in-law while she's out walking her dogs. :)
That's good to know they have homes to go to.

Back