What Are You Listening To?

stlukesguild

For whatever reason, I've been hooked on Trios lately... starting with Benny Goodman's trios and moving on through the ensemble Trio Wanderer's recordings of trios by Rachmaninoff, Dvorak, Debussy, and Chausson:

81H-QgpM73L.400.jpg

81iElr6u4PL.400.jpg

71XrfpomPfL.400.jpg

510YlSmkXhL.400.jpg

The Pretenders! Local Dudes and Dudettes. "Detroit Leaning" was a Cleveland/Akron term for leaning heavily to the left (toward Detroit... or Detroit Avenue) in an undisputably cool manner while driving. Chrissie left us with the biting My City was Gone:

"Hey! Ho! Way to go! Ohio!"

Schumann: Complete music for viola and piano:

Quite a gem of a collection, and thoroughly suffused with that very typical and inimitable "Schumann sound."

After mentioning The Rolling Stones' Who's Been Sleeping Here? in my post on Japanese Tasagode paintings, I gave the song a listen on YouTube... and then decided to play the whole LP:

The-Rolling-Stones-Between-The-Buttons-album-cover-820.jpg

It was the Stones' response to Rubber Soul... a folksy... at times Kinks-like collection with a cover that even echoes the Beatles' LP. Not near as good... but how many records are?

Let's Spend the Night Together

Something Happened to Me Yesterday

I've been reading Paul Verlaine's short collection of poems, Fêtes galantes. This collection, which includes the famous Clair de lune (Moonlight) was set to music by any number of French composers of the late-19th and early-20th-century. I was headed over to Spotify check out some of these musical settings of Verlaine's poems when I stumbled upon this absolutely delicious recording:

61ww9d73-5L.jpg

Maisky is one of the finest living cellists and this recording is a performance of French mélodie, or "art songs" by composers including Faure, Ravel, Debussy, Chausson, Duparc, Hahn, etc... Maisky has kept the original piano accompaniment and transcribed the vocal line for cello. As Brian already knows, the cello is one of my favorite instruments. This collection of achingly exquisite French mélodies performed on cello is especially recommended.

Fauré: Trois Mélodies, Op.7: Après un rêve

Duparc: Chanson triste

81E0mmJC41L.400.jpg

Ennio Morricone is a legendary Italian composer, conductor, orchestrator, and musician especially known for his scores for film and TV. Morricone has composed over 400 scores for cinema and television, as well as over 100 classical works. His score to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is considered one of the most influential soundtracks in history and was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. Among the films Morricone composed the music for one may count: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; Cinema Paradiso, La Cage aux Folles, Days of Heaven, The Mission, The Untouchables, Bugsy, Once Upon a Time in the West, Nostromo, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Thing, The Boys from Brazil, Mission to Mars, etc... Morricone has also composed the music for a number of TV shows including The Simpsons and The Sopranos. The album Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone... the disc I'm currently listening to... stayed 105 weeks on the Billboard Top Classical Albums. The music included here is achingly lush, romantic, and beautiful.

Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone Music from The Mission

I love Morricone.
perhaps it is impossible to have a favorite among his works, there are probably many masterpieces (I love western soundtracks for example) but this .....
maybe he goes near it, yes maybe he is my favorite

I have now searched the list of the album you have been listening to lately
Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricon.
I didn't know this album. sorry.
it's a masterpiece ,
there are really the songs made for Sergio Leone,
and those of the 2 links.

51PiWkexwCL._SX425_.jpg

Just finished another collection of short melodic pieces played by the wonderful cellist, Mischa Maisky. I think Brian would like both of these collections considering his aversion to the higher-pitch sound of the violin. :rolleyes:

R-1562820-1235504986.jpeg

One of the great bands of the 60s that came out of California. Along with the Beatles and Beach Boys they were masters of harmony and melody. The album includes some of Roger McGuinn and David Crosby's best songwriting efforts. McGuinn and Crosby's Everybody's Been Burned is a brilliant moody jazz-influenced meditation. The song was regarded by many critics as a leap forward in terms of musical sophistication. The LP also marked the emergence of the band's bass player, Chris Hillman as a talented songwriter and vocalist.

R-1559040-1584835317-3435.jpeg.jpg

There's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

Father, father
We don't need to escalate
You see, war is not the answer
For only love can conquer hate
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today

Picket lines and picket signs
Don't punish me with brutality
Talk to me, so you can see
Oh, what's going on
What's going on...

Still relevant today... 😢

View attachment 559

Just finished another collection of short melodic pieces played by the wonderful cellist, Mischa Maisky. I think Brian would like both of these collections considering his aversion to the higher-pitch sound of the violin. :rolleyes:

Yup, I am also a fan of the cello. I actually like the violin too, but only in smallish doses. :)

Back