What Are You Listening To?

51jGxF36Q5L._SX425_.jpg

81YcoOBQO0L._SL1500_.jpg

Never leased a dog in my life.

I've actually heard of that being done... people who are unable to put in the time and assume the responsibility of having a dog full-time renting the dog for a day or so many hours. :rolleyes: They also have those dogs that they take to visit people in hospitals or nursing homes. ❤

They're not so destructive any more now that they're no longer pups... although the little one, Raphael, doesn't live up to his name as an angel. You can't tempt him by leaving "chewables" within his reach when you leave him alone.

That phase lasts until about a year and a half but I think some pups never get over it due to separation anxiety. When owner leaves they tear the house apart. ☺

Yep, Rafie definitely has separation anxiety. He was alone in a cage in a puppy mill for 6 months until he was rescued and brought to a no-kill shelter from which we adopted him. After our last dog died, I decided on adopting two dogs at once to help avoid excessive separation anxiety. It also means that when we don't have time to play or walk the dogs, they play with each other. The two are inseparable.

paulkuss2019_97034253_261486784957095_7251704807576317041_n.700.jpg

paulkuss2019_96415738_269039224143204_8270029488107034438_n.700.jpg

paulkuss2019_90992159_2519398534973596_5087342471344315263_n.700.jpg

They look well bonded. I have found that if you can get litter mates, they entertain each other, are company for each other and even help train each other. Best to get them as small as possible though. The two I have now were around 4-6 months when I got them and were harder to train than the last 2 I had.

Pepper was 2 1/2 months old when we got her. She had just been spayed so she was in her own cage separate from her brother... who we would have gotten as well if we'd known about him... but it worked out for the best. Her brother was adopted the same day by another family and we got Raphael about a month later. He was 6 months old at the time and both were about the same size... but Pepper kept growing, while Raphie didn't get much bigger at all as a Jack Russell/Dachshund mix. Luck for him, he's the smarter of the two. In spite of her advantage in height, weight, and speed he can hold his own against her... and outsmart her. One of his best tricks was to suddenly jump up and run barking to the door. When Pepper jumped up to see what the commotion was, he doubled back, grabbed her bone, and run upstairs before she knew what had happened. She came back, found her bone gone, and walked around looking completely baffled. He can be a little stinker. With his short legs he maneuvers well under chairs and tables while with her long legs, she's like an albatross in the house. He once got her to chase him under the bed where she was almost unable to move at all. He kept running around her and biting her ass. She's never fallen for that trick again. 😆

The two sisters we have now are MinPin mix and neither is very bright but the two sisters we had before were Corgi mix and short legged too. I have never had dogs as smart as them. I never had to give commands, I just talked to them as I would to a person and they understood every word. The one we had the longest was half human I think. She could talk to you too, you just had to learn her language. I love dogs and I still miss her.

81uCuV0HdVL.500.jpg

This is absolutely one of my favorite discs with two delicious exotic Russian masterworks: Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, inspired by the Arabian Nights, and Stravinsky's Le Rossignol (The Nightingale) which was originally an opera based on a tale by Hans Christian Andersen which Stravinsky later scored as a symphonic poem (Song of the Nightingale). In spite of it's age (1956!) this is one of the best orchestral recordings and the sound is stupendous... as most all of these RCA Living Stereo recordings were. As the Arabian Nights is one of the themes I am toying with for my next painting(s) I'll be listening to this and other similar works a good deal.

We can make a dog thread, but that might just bring me to tears. I still love dogs no matter how broken my heart still is. :( Your pups are adorable St. Luke. I love how bonded they are. ❤

The puppy pic with everything ripped up and broken on the floor made me laugh! I might have some of those with the toilet paper roll strewn all over the floor with my old border collie. But I don't know where those are.

71dFfKovRmL.450.jpg

KonitzMotion.450.jpeg

AhmadJamalTrio.450.jpeg

I've downloaded a slew of artists and recordings to my Jazz playlist on Spotify that I either haven't heard in a while... or never... I know this disc by Bill Evans well enough, but the Lee Konitz disc is new to me... in spite of my being somewhat familiar with his music. Ahmad Jamal is completely new to me. Spotify recommended him as someone listeners to Bill Evans might like... and the disc was quite good.

ab67616d0000b273afdf6ba1402bbf307c59aea1.450.jpg

I first "discovered" Charles Koechlin some 5-7 years ago. I was quite fond of Debussy, Ravel, Faure and several other modern French composers and found Koechlin mentioned within their ilk. The music on this disc is at times Romantic, Impressionistic, quirky and playful, and even suggestive of Jazz at times.

I've been listening a lot to the stereo (or the computer) today for a couple of reasons. First of all, my back is aching from all the moving and lifting over the last few weeks and so I've been laying down... even napping a couple of times today. I'm also spending a lot of time looking through my image files for ideas for my first painting in the new studio.

It would be nice if the guitar player could keep up with him, but Stephane was so effortlessly great it hardly matters. Nobody but Django could keep up with him.

Stephane Grapelli Tribute to Django

This guy couldn't not swing if he tried. So fluid, totally relaxed, just taking a walk in the park, no sweat, no strain. No wonder Menuhin was afraid to get up on stage with him. The fourth track, Swing Guitars... too bad there's a guitarist. The poor shmuck just has no idea what to do. And this, mind you, is Larry Coryell!

Last edited:
711+n18nYXL.450.jpg

Alexander Scriabin was a Russian composer and pianist. Scriabin was influenced early in his life by the works of Frédéric Chopin, composing works that were highly tonal and using musical forms common to Chopin. Later in his career, independently of Arnold Schoenberg, Scriabin developed a substantially atonal and dissonant musical system, which was inspired, in part, by his personal mystical beliefs.
Scriabin was influenced by synesthesia, and associated colors with the various tones of his atonal scale. He is a composer, like Charles-Valentin Alkan, who has become something of a cult figure within the of classical music listeners. Richard Wagner might also be deemed a cult figure, but there is little doubt that he deserves the adulation as one of the towering figures of music... or the arts as a whole. (I added that just for you, Brian 😆 )

ps... This collection is a 5 disc set some 6 1/2 hours long... so I don't think I'll be listening to all of it in a single sitting. :oops:

Back