What Are You Listening To?

Another Sunday... and back to Bach. A classic multi-disc set:

BachCelloQueyras.500.jpg

I followed this up with some Renaissance & Baroque works for keyboard performed by Glenn Gould:

GouldRenassanceBaroque.500.jpg

jeffbeck-truth1.jpg

Truth was Jeff Beck's first solo LP. It is one of the classics of heavy British Blues pointing from John Mayal, Cream, and The Yardbirds forward toward Led Zeppelin. The LP included performances by 2 of the musicians who would later form Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones) and featured Rod Stewart on vocals, Ron Wood (later with the Rolling Stones), and Nicky Hopkins (who played and recorded with the Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, The Beatles, John Lennon and Ringo Starr, as well as a good many other bands.)

Here's one for you John:

Spectralism. Late Modern/Contemporary Classical... not atonal... in fact intentionally anti-serialism... but Brian still might struggle with it.

51Oiy64f-dL.jpg

I was listening to this disc of clarinet music by Sabine Meyer... an interesting mix: Mozart followed by Debussy (French Impressionism) followed by Takemitsu, a Japanese composer who builds upon French Impressionism and points toward Spectralism. After Takemitsu, I thought I'd like to listen to Tristan Murail again... but right now I have no idea where I put my discs of his work and Spotify doesn't have the piece I wanted: Gondawana... so I went with the YouTube recording (above).

71fFtRIrXDL._SL1200_.jpg

Since its release a couple of years ago, this has been a favorite of mine of Schubert lieder. Of course it doesn't hurt that Ms Richter is quite the looker:

A-5689737-1594051910-5994.jpeg.jpg

71MwXmCbNaL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Currently, I'm giving a second listen to this. I put it on after a long day online and lay down... and proceeded to immediately fall asleep. So this time I'm awake for the entire disc: Debussy and Brahms work for cello and clarinet. Two of my favorite instruments. Come to think of it... there's a lovely lied with clarinet on Ms. Richter's recording.

Currently, I'm giving a second listen to this. I put it on after a long day online and lay down... and proceeded to immediately fall asleep. So this time I'm awake for the entire disc: Debussy and Brahms work for cello and clarinet. Two of my favorite instruments. Come to think of it... there's a lovely lied with clarinet on Ms. Richter's recording.

Somewhat unusual, to put Brahms and Debussy together on a single disk. Of course, the disk itself has become somewhat unusual. :)

I may have said "disc" but I was actually listening online through Spotify. But I'll be honest, unless you are able to stream at the highest possible level CDs generally sound better. Streaming or digital downloads are simply more convenient.

this song is extraordinary, but also the story.
written by a musician who worked on the ships that brought immigrants from Italy, to the USA, or from Italy to Germany, which left from Naples or from Sicily on the ship he worked on.
one day the weather was too bad to play so he stayed in his kennel and wrote this song. no one knows who he was, not even his name. what story he had or what he thought of the wonderful song he wrote at the time and if luck ever remembered him.
however someone who heard the song took it to germany and it was recorded for the first time there.
then someone more important brought it to the usa, where it immediately attracted the attention of great greats and then I played it in many, many great and incredible versions.

Something off the beaten track:

Considering this bloke is playing a homemade instrument, without the benefit of western training in harmony or counterpoint, this is rather marvelous... :)

Last night I picked up take out from a favorite local Italian restaurant for Valentine's day and then we sat at the table with only candles listening to Frank Sinatra:

519S4-MWr5L.jpg

YwQ1lAL.jpg

61J7mxTe3YL.jpg

R-2144529-1502309526-2164.jpeg

71cDEjKTASL._SL1018_.jpg

These five albums are from Sinatra's peak as a "torch song" singer (mid-1950s-early 1960s). This was also the period of his relationship with Ava Gardner. They were married in 1951. From the start, their relationship was quite volatile. Both had numerous affairs and issues with excessive drinking. Ava bristled at Sinatra's arrogant and overpowering personality. While filming Mogambo she informed him that she was pregnant... only to later abort the pregnancy. In spite of the tensions, the couple shared a number of passions including a love for jazz, alcohol, and sex.

Frank-and-ava-900x600.jpg

As the marriage began to disintegrate, Sinatra made several suicide attempts, including slitting his wrists after Ava announced she wanted a divorce.

Sinatra's reputation took a nose-dive during the period due to the reaction of studios and fans following his divorce of his wife, Nancy, in order to be with Ava... who already had a reputation as a "morally questionable" woman. Nevertheless, the recordings of the period are the finest of his career... and the last two albums above, Where Are You and Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely are his two greatest albums. Both of these were recorded following his break-up with Ava. He would spend endless hours in the recording studio in order to put Ava out of his mind. His closest friends would spend time with him dining and drinking... in order to keep an eye on him in case he was to make another suicide attempt.

Later in life, both Sinatra and Ava would state that the other was the greatest love of their life.

That's sad, I did not know that about Sinatra--that he got that depressed. I love his music. So nostalgic. I hate that "morally questionable" crap about Ava. That sucks. Different times.

That's sad, I did not know that about Sinatra--that he got that depressed. I love his music. So nostalgic. I hate that "morally questionable" crap about Ava. That sucks. Different times.

I would not have suspected the extremes of depression that Sinatra went through... let alone his suicide attempts. This seems so out of place from his external persona... which proves that you never know what demons others are confronting.

I agree with your dislike of the "morally questionable" reputation that Ava faced... not unlike today's "slut-shaming". Liz Taylor faced the same for breaking up the fairy-tale marriage of Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds... as if she was solely to blame as the Scarlet Woman.

She Was Once the Biggest Star in Jazz. Here’s Why You’ve Never Heard of Her

-round-midnight.700.jpg

I'm currently listening to an anthology of the recordings of Hazel Scott. I came across the above article on her and afterward decided to give the music a listen. Indeed, she was quite good. It is too bad that most of her recordings are out of print. Her LP "Round Midnight" makes up much of the compilation recording I am currently listening to.

-round-midnight.jpg

I cross-posted this in a separate thread... just so that those who do not frequent this thread might come upon it.

Back