Watercolor Bonsai

Joy

Contributing Member
This was done in watercolor in a Canson XL sketchbook, 7 x 10. Since I never had much skill with landscapes or trees, I thought I would just give this a quick go in my sketchbook, since I did not have to worry about a BG. My tendency is to use too much water, so I concentrated on "drier" paint this time.

EF781587-FB50-42F0-95F8-14BE93689A1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Very attractive, Joy. I like the art of bonsai. A lovely watercolour.

Penny - Thank you! You sure found this thread in a hurry. We have a beautiful artificial one, but this was painted from a ref photo from a floral/botanical challenge on another site. I saw some gorgeous bonsai at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical gardens in Pittsburgh, PA. I just love the Japanese culture and its simplicity. Our living room is decorated in an Asian theme. There is a fascinating painter on YouTube, Shibasaki.

I check out the new posts tab when I come to the site and saw your post. I also like Japanese culture and art Joy. I came across a Japanese American artist Chiura Obata and was given, for Christmas, his book on his art and diaries from a visit to Yosemite. i will look up Shibasaki.

You did beautiful work on this, Joy! I like the textures of the bark very much. I tend to not use enough water with watercolors and end up with a dry brush effect whether I want it or not. I'm glad you found what works for you.

I love how this came out. You balanced the water just right. Your colors are nice and vivid.

Thanks for taking the time t look and comment.

Donna - I have a tendency to use way too much water, b/c when I was learning I was reading that usually not enough water was used.

Ayin - "BG" is "background". That and "COI" (center of interest) I have seen for years on various art sites and forums. Sorry if that was not clear. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Happy New Year!

Lovely bonsai Joy, I like all the different textures you've created in this one, and the colours are excellent.

Donna - I have a tendency to use way too much water, b/c when I was learning I was reading that usually not enough water was used.
Snap! I still often use way too much water for the exact same reason. The tendency to use too little may apply to many beginners, but for me that advice just caused the opposite problem!

Claudia, when I started, there was a painter (Alwyn Crawshaw) on PBS. He always used to say, "bags of water"!

I'm sorry that I didn't know those abbreviations, Joy. I guess I'm not up on that stuff/as experienced. Thank you for sharing them.

Claudia, when I started, there was a painter (Alwyn Crawshaw) on PBS. He always used to say, "bags of water"!
Oh yes, I remember Alwyn Crawshaw. He looked a lot like Captain Birdseye, and had a lovely encouraging manner. 'Bags of water' is a big vague though!!

Beautiful job, Joy! I love your greens and those blue shadows. ❤️

Beautiful Joy. I love the texture on the trunk and the deep value contrasts on the foliage.

Back