Warm Cold Experiment

Enyaw

namuh
012.jpg

11 x 14 oil on paper alla prima ..
warm on the viewer left .. cold on the viewer right .. I know the bla on painting two objects but it
really isn't about a painting it's about color and how I see it.

I found the warm vase catches my eye and the cold flowers catch my eye .. vase left .. flowers right.
May be the contrast . Over all it think it creates a good atmosphere for a painting.

They look beautiful, side by side like this, Wayne! I agree: the cold flowers seem to catch my eye, but I wonder if it's because we may be looking at the painting unconsciously from left to right, and our eyes "stop" at the cold flowers. The brightness of the warm flowers (yellow!) usually gets my attention, but not this time, Weird.

Lovely work!

Well that was a very successful experiment, Wayne! I tend to focus on light/dark contrast and this is a good reminder that there are all kinds of other contrasts available to us. I like how the purple flowers pop against the little bit of yellow in the background.

It's lovely! I think the colors really make it. I love the ones used in the "cold" flowers but those shades of greens are scrumptious! ❤️

Such brilliant color. How you do that is a mystery to me, but it's so amazing when you do. This is stunning! ♥️

Thank you .. I honestly don't know but I start out with very unsaturated color and then add color to the values and it somehow mixes. The knife leaves the cleanest stroke in my opinion.

Back