Troubled Landscape

Donna T

When I started this I knew it had to have a heavy, dark sky in order to feel oppressive and powerful. The drips and textured areas were intended to keep me from being too literal and add a sense of depth to the surface. Acrylic and pastel on paper. 12 x12 inches

IMG_3283pscs.jpg

That's a beautiful piece Donna.
I see lives of former fishermen, pelicans, and fish at sea. As they break their chains they leave them behind and as their spirits lift the ruin and ash remain.

Terrific painting, Donna. The point-of-view reminds me of someone driving in a blinding thunderstorm.

Thanks Wayne. I thought those things could be seen to be swirling in the sky. I like your poetic take on them.

Thank you Sno.

Thanks OleKobe - yeah, it does have a thunderstorm feel, like when your wipers can't keep up.

This has a gorgeous vibe Donna. I really love how you handled this whole thing. Wonderful work!

Thank you Donna .. it's like reading tea leaves .. you stare at them and they form a picture and then you form the words to describe the feelings (story) that went through you .. Least I think that is all they do ..

This came out great Donna. Gorgeous and living room wall worthy. This is the way to use that acrylic texture thing. And the pastel works well with it as it is very surface if needed. Well done. Powerful but also beautiful, great combo.

Thanks Ayin, Susan, John and laf. It's very helpful to know how you all interpreted this. I'm glad the texture worked too.

Wayne, reading tea leaves and trying to see the meaning in them sounds like what I go through with abstracts. Sometimes they speak and sometimes they have nothing to say and I start over.

Great job here, Donna! Love your textures and palette. I'm really getting to be a fan of your style here - it's fun watching you develop it with each new piece. :)

Terri, Iain and chaffee; thanks so much, especially for thinking that I have a style. This painting was therapeutic for me. I attacked it and didn't hold back - and feel like I won a small battle. :)

This painting fills me with foreboding. The distant flame is obscured but still a visible threat. The heavy atmosphere highlights the volcanic horizon nicely. The heavy brush strokes and the drippings bring the approaching storm to life. Well done; I like this very much. Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate this comment, rcleary, especially because I wanted to portray the feeling of foreboding. A friend saw this while I was working on it and said the light at the horizon felt hopeful ... so I brought the cloud down and squeezed out most of the light. Sometimes even light has to fight for existence!

Back