Too Good:

Sweet. I suppose it’s the time of the year when these kinds of ads make the rounds. I just saw a Chevrolet commercial where an old lady (maybe in the early stages of Alzheimer’s?) was just sitting there, sadly and vacantly, and the giant family was tiptoeing around her with worry and concern. Then, one of the kids took her out in a spin in the old Chevy van-truck thing and she perked up and smiled and reminisced and when she got home, she kissed her husband and hugged her grandchildren and sat down to dinner at the head of the table, smiling and laughing with the rest of the all American apple pie family. Imagine…all that from a car ride! Okay.

But still…I’m not gonna say there might have been a little “mistiness“ around the old clogged tear ducts.

(cuz my heart is made of stone)

For twenty-five years, I was a Recreational Therapist, mostly in Nursing Homes, and I specialized in helping folks with dementia make it through their often terrifying days- it is difficult to imagine what it is like for them because our own minds shear off from considering it.

But, yes, a car ride can bring someone with a dementing condition 'back' for awhile, as can babies and children, normal tasks like bed-making or cooking chores, and, especially, music.

It doesn't last, of course, but to give someone the gift of normalcy for even a few minutes is itself a gift to the giver.

I think these three ladies are likely not living inside dementia, but are old enough to have to be careful- skin-tears and bruising and broken hips, iffy digestion and iffy-er waste management control- it narrows the world of possibility somewhat- to the point they no longer feel like players in the game, but simple audience members in the dark, not even noticed by the players on the stage.

A sled ride- with cushioning! allowed them to be a player again, too.

.... and then the sled tipped over and she broke her neck --- now you know..... the rest of the story...
More likely her hip

Which is pretty much a death sentence for post menopausal women- average age from break/surgery till death is five years.

Which *sucks*

Back