Together

john

This old watercolor was off on the side downstairs. It had no people and wasn't varnished so it was kind of dry and boring. So for the market I added the people and then varnished it and the colors popped out and this went from meh to pretty good.

I came up with the title "Together" .

Should I sign this way or go with normal writing? I'm still unsure about the whole signing thing. I probably should have used a brush but this was a last minute signing. I don't like how it's so obvious. I usually just about hide my sigs.

Comments and critiques welcome. It's about 9x14 inches
1674790004829.png

Last edited:
I use an old fashion nail punch and write my signature into the paint. You cant read my written signature but I don't fret that. I put my name on the back but my signature is into the paint and most times not overly visible unless you are close up: it's my brand.

I use an old fashion nail punch and write my signature into the paint. You cant read my written signature but I don't fret that. I put my name on the back but my signature is into the paint and most times not overly visible unless you are close up: it's my brand.

Good idea, I've done that when using oil and remember to. I think I've signed in every way that one can. My main mistake here was making it too obvious. But I've also heard that using script instead of print is frowned on by some, like gallery owners that want to see who the artist is. Few people could figure out my actual name the way I write it in script.

It's wonderful how you pulled out an older piece and made it into something you like. I find it lovely and interesting.

I think this is gorgeous. I love everything about it and the people really bring it to life! I see nothing wrong with the signature: I like to see them, to me it's the sign of an artist declaring the piece is finished and that isn't always an easy thing to declare. :)

This old watercolor was off on the side downstairs. It had no people and wasn't varnished so it was kind of dry and boring. So for the market I added the people and then varnished it and the colors popped out and this went from meh to pretty good.

I came up with the title "Together" .

Should I sign this way or go with normal writing? I'm still unsure about the whole signing thing. I probably should have used a brush but this was a last minute signing. I don't like how it's so obvious. I usually just about hide my sigs.

Comments and critiques welcome. It's about 9x14 inches
View attachment 27939
Love this. The characters add mystery that feeds into sense of isolation.

Beautiful painting. I love how all the painterly bits look in this. It's really good!

I sign into my paintings in all kinda ways. I don't have a set way. I don't think it matters to be consistent. Some artists do, however. Maybe you'll find a set way after a while that you like and keep toward that. I try to keep it small, but can't always do that with a paint brush. I use a pencil on my watercolors (usually). Not always. See what I mean? :ROFLMAO:

I think this is gorgeous John - I love how the colors flow. Adding the people makes it exceedingly interesting. What/how do you varnish your watercolors (if you don't mind me asking)?

I think this is gorgeous John - I love how the colors flow. Adding the people makes it exceedingly interesting. What/how do you varnish your watercolors (if you don't mind me asking)?
Thanks Ann ..

I use an acrylic gloss spray. I've used Krylon but I think they all are basically the same. Some have UV protection.

Gloss spray is good as first coat as it's most transparent but I like the final coat to be satin or matte to reduce glare. Spray is good to fix it so there is no smearing. I'm finding the brush on liquatex high gloss acrylic varnish to be a nice leveling coat. If the varnished surface has texture the bumps cause reflection at many different angles. I think that having a level smooth final surface with satin is the best way to prevent glare. I just recently discovered this.

This is a beauty, John! It must feel pretty good to have rescued an older piece like this. I appreciate learning about how you varnish a watercolor too.

Back