They Done The Mash ...

View attachment 12816

11 x 14 oil on paper .. Alla Prima .. Knives ..
This one I simply applied the paint to the paper and did my mixes there instead of on the palette .. just like mashing potatoes .. push pull and believe it's going to be suitable when you get through. Left a few holes but from a viewing distance they are like the salt and pepper: they just add extra flavor. As an example I put in big blotches of lemon yellow and then into it I put blue and then into it whatever I felt it needed. It was fun and I may try that approach again today. For those who don't know I am always a day behind. What I post today I painted yesterday. I don't have and inventory of any size and I don't post oldies 'cept in the What's Next Thread.
Hi Wayne, somehow missed this beauty, been a bit busy last couple days. In my opinion, this is one of your best, the colours are superb across the entire painting. You held it together in the mashup. For an experiment on alla prima on page mixing, this must have been an interesting exercise - and worth the effort. I think mixing on the page forced you to consider the work more directly instead of the gap between palette, mind and canvass. Very nice. I will not point out a favourite "area" as it is quite harmonious. Please dont bin this one :)

Last edited:
Thank you Murray. In a week or so I'll try it on my wall. It's a keeper.
Hi Wayne, yes for many reasons. It is a fine piece, well balanced and harmonious and captures the scene. Technically its (in my view and it seems others) well executed but you as the artist would know. It's handled with confidence, great technical colour mixing and spontaneous. Lastly, it is a keeper to remind you of that moment and how you achieved it - a constant reminder. Stay well and happy.

BTW Wayne, how do you prime your paper. Do you use an acrylic gesso or something else? My few oils on paper are rather more controlled and simply acrylic PVA glue primed as I paint lightly with glazes not the dashing style you have :)

I don't prime it. I buy it in a pad already prepared for oil. It says oil or acrylic but I found it curled with a very watery acrylic wash. I tried to tone one but it seemed to curl. I may have done something wrong.
Canson Oil And Acrylic Pads .. I get mine on Amazon.

But was it the Monster Mash? 😁 Job well done and the holes add life to it. 💕❤️

Thanks Sno,
Funny you should say that. Yesterday, my wife said what mash and I answered, the monster mash.

Wayne: The mixing on the paper has worked well. Interesting composition and expressive knife work. Very nice.(y)

Lol - I thought all your paintings were done like that! 😁 ........ you seem to have a nice laissez-faire approach - it works well - keep it! (both style and painting!)

Just out of interest - have you tried a red undercoat - thickish acrylic shouldn't alter the paper.

Thanks Arnie and Maureen.
Yes Maureen. I used toned panels before I used paper. Purple works well with winter scenes. Red works well with nature. Perhaps I'll give it a ago. I may have used too much water when I tried on paper.

have you tried a red undercoat - thickish acrylic shouldn't alter the paper
Ohhh .. Maureen .. what's my wife gonna say .. right on the belly of my shirt ..
001.jpg

I know. Not your problem I have a big belly 😅
Well, gave it a try and the paper buckled . . and somehow I found my shirt with the red .. oh well, I needed a new one for the studio anyway. I put the paper under weight to see if I can get the bevel out of it with time and weight. It is Sennelier Abstract Pouch Acrylics. Maybe it's that brand. Funny Canson would call their pad Oil and Acrylic it if can't take acrylic.

Ohhh .. Maureen .. what's my wife gonna say .. right on the belly of my shirt ..
View attachment 13142
I know. Not your problem I have a big belly 😅
Well, gave it a try and the paper buckled . . and somehow I found my shirt with the red .. oh well, I needed a new one for the studio anyway. I put the paper under weight to see if I can get the bevel out of it with time and weight. It is Sennelier Abstract Pouch Acrylics. Maybe it's that brand. Funny Canson would call their pad Oil and Acrylic it if can't take acrylic.
You need to get a tube of KISS-OFF. :giggle:

Oh dear Wayne ….. at least it wasn’t on the carpet!😂
Next suggestion ….just like stretching paper for watercolours, have you tried wiping the back of the paper with a wet-ish/damp-ish sponge, before painting the right side with paint (with very little added water)? I use an acrylic drawing board to do this so the paper tends to cling and stay flat.

PS …. You also need a big artist’s apron!😂😂

Lol. I have an apron. Too lazy to use it. I'll try that another day. At least it wasn't on the collar.

Back