There is Hope for Youth Yet

In my experience of twenty years of teaching, it's usually the other way around. When the teacher is ready, the student will appear.

In my experience of twenty years of teaching, it's usually the other way around. When the teacher is ready, the student will appear.

Then the Blessed One … surveyed the world with the eye of an Awakened One. As he did so, he saw beings with little dust in their eyes and those with much, those with keen faculties and those with dull, those with good attributes and those with bad, those easy to teach and those hard…

Ayacana Sutta

Last edited by a moderator:
A typically long-winded Buddhist way of say saying different strokes for different folks. My best students always required more of my time and attention than those with less talent. Giving them phony Zennisms about emptying their minds so The Great Teacher could fill them with The Great Teachings would never have worked.

I'm impressed by how the young folks embrace the "old" music. Back in the seventies and eighties there was not so much looking back. Marshall Crenshaw is one exception I can think of. He tapped into the fifties and acheived some popularity. I think music just became more varied and more interesting, better?, and just plain more post Beatles.

And speaking of total monsters... perhaps the most total monster of them all. Not your garden variety shredder.

His overdriven tone is one of the greatest in the history of the Stratocaster, almost like a violin, and once he gets into the melody, it's just hook after hook. That being said, the accolade doesn't really fit him. The guy doesn't have a mean bone in his hands. He plays more like an angel than a monster.

Last edited:
I just watched this technically very proficient cover of Cliffs of Dover by an American-Israeli woman name Nili Brosh, who is thirty-two.

She calls it a full cover, which it isn't, but no question she's a terrific shredder. Unfortunately, like most shredders, she's focused almost entirely on technique. She's got no feel for the music. She figures the faster, the better.

Tesler-Mabe isn't like this. She has incredible feel for whatever she's playing, which is indeed hard to explain in someone so young. She knows technique is the servant of the music, not the master.

Maybe she'll cover it someday, but if she does, you can bet she won't omit the ethereal, stereo-chorus intro.

Back