There is Hope for Youth Yet

musket

This Canadian girl--she was sixteen when she made this video--has got whatever it is that separates the great from the excellent. Her tone is killer, pure Stratocaster; her articulation flawless, her dynamics right on, and the solo, which includes some variations of her own, is utterly gorgeous, the most lyrical I've ever heard short of Jimi's. This isn't a robotic attempt to copy Hendrix; it's played with respect but it's her sounding like her. She's in the zone through the whole tune. I always played with my eyes closed too.

She's nineteen now.

Ayla Tesler-Mabe--May This Be Love (Waterfall)

And then we have this, at fifteen-- take that, boys! There's a word among guitar players for people like her. Scary.

Ayla Tesler-Mabe--Pride and Joy

She also has excellent taste in Fender Custom Colors--my Strat is Surf Green too.

Last edited:
Jesus. At first, it was almost too good to be true because she's playing over the track, but it's obvious her guitar is turned up way over the song(s). You can also see how clean her playing is just by watching her. She is crazy good, even with her feel, which is sort of baffling at her age. She's put the work in, that's for sure. I give her all the kudos she deserves. Thanks for posting this. Nice guitars. I sent this to my brother--he'll be so jealous of those customs, but will think he's a better player. 🤣 LOL, guitar players!

The singer is terrific.

More by Tesler-Mabe. The guitar part has been eliminated from the backup tracks in her videos.

15 years old here.

This one is fun. No age given, probably around the same. She's versatile too.

Jazzy stuff doesn't seem to be a problem either. Fifteen here.

Positively frightening how good she is with feel.

Last edited:
Holy crap! You see a lot of these prodigies in Classical Music due, no doubt, to the intensity of the training early on... but you don't see as many in pop music.

I wonder to which extent the youth is becoming more prodigious. When Evgeny Kissin made his big concert debut with the Chopin concerto at age 12, it was big news. Nowadays, YouTube is overflowing with younger kids doing similar things. Of course, we also know that the kids of today are useless, just as they have always been throughout all the ages. :D

I wonder to which extent the youth is becoming more prodigious. When Evgeny Kissin made his big concert debut with the Chopin concerto at age 12, it was big news.

Off the top of my head I can think of a good number of child prodigies in classical music: Martha Argerich, Yo-Yo Ma, Lang Lang, Jacqueline du Pré, Jascha Heifetz, Yehudi Menuhin, Van Cliburn, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Itzhak Perlman, Erich Korngold... and this doesn't take into consideration the "old masters": Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Stravinsky, etc...

Van Cliburn was only 23 when he stunned the classical world winning the Tchaikovsky competition in Moscow and bowling over stellar pianists such as Emil Gilels, and Stviatoslav Richter. Menuhin's recordings of Bach at age 14 are still revered, and Mutter was performing with Herbert von Karajan at 14. I suspect a good many of the finest classical virtuosos of today were child prodigies.

I remember Robert Hughes... or it might have actually been Clement Greenberg... declaring that prodigies in visual art are largely irrelevant. This seems to be true... with obvious exceptions such as Michelangelo (but the training of artists was quite different and began quite early back then) and Picasso. We've all likely seen those phenomenal child artists who go on to become little more that an average artist if that.

Nandi is an amazing drummer. Been watching her for years, at least a couple.

Nandi may not be better than Grohl... yet... but she's a phenomenal showman clearly in love with music and her instrument.

Yep, she's the real deal. I couldn't open the NYT article, alas, not being a subscriber and having run out of free articles.

If I recall correctly, Buddy Rich was already phenomenal by age seven, and was given the nickname "Baby Traps."

Tesler-Mabe can sing too, and damn well, but what's really encouraging and refreshing to me is hearing such a massively talented young person covering a Creedence tune.

Personally, I think she is a crazy talented guitar player, but her singing and songwriting needs a lot of work. Not to be critical. She is very young and I am bowled over by her skills.

Nandi may be as good as Grohl by the time she's an adult. She is a great rock player already.

Personally, I think she is a crazy talented guitar player, but her singing and songwriting needs a lot of work. Not to be critical. She is very young and I am bowled over by her skills.
I agree. She sings well now, but she'll need training if she wants to get better. She's a phenomenal guitar player; she has what can't be taught. But I haven't been knocked out by either of her bands.

Nice enough arrangement. Yep it's pretty, and so is she, but it seriously lacks the energy of the original. Knopfler is one of those subtle guitar players who looks like he isn't working very hard... but he is, even if that ain't workin'.

Back