The Next Sketch Is

60 inches x 48 inches:

southof62-72.jpg

Next: anything.

How is gouache used as a resist?
Thanks, Kay!
I painted the subject with opaque pan watercolors (no magic in that, it's just what I happened to use), but left some parts of the painting paper white. When that was dry, I covered the painted/colored parts of the image with white gouache. When the gouache was dry, I painted waterproof India ink over the entire painting and let that dry. Last part: gently wash off (use a soft brush if necessary) all the white gouache under running water. The colors beneath the washed areas reappear and what was the white of the paper is left stained by the India ink. I think that is all of the process.

Two observations: it might have been interesting to use more staining watercolors to get more intensity in the painted areas, and white poster paint might work instead of using expensive white gouache.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kay!
I painted the subject with opaque pan watercolors (no magic in that, it's just what I happened to use), but left some parts of the painting paper white. When that was dry, I covered the painted/colored parts of the image with white gouache. When the gouache was dry, I painted waterproof India ink over the entire painting and let that dry. Last part: gently wash off (use a soft brush if necessary) all the white gouache under running water. The colors beneath the washed areas reappear and what was the white of the paper is left stained by the India ink. I think that is all of the process.

Two observations: it might have been interesting to use more staining watercolors to get more intensity in the painted areas, and white poster paint might work instead of using expensive white gouache.
Thanks for the details. Sounds just what I was searching for a few days ago. And, love how yours turned out.

Thanks for the explanation! Might try it.
Yes, Kay, try a small piece first to get a feel for it. It's kinda scary when you cover all of your work in waterproof India ink o_O

Thanks for the details. Sounds just what I was searching for a few days ago. And, love how yours turned out.
Thanks, JennieJo! I'm sure there are lots of step-by-step how-tos out there, and probably lots of viddys on youtube. Give it a try on something that's not too precious ; as you can probably imagine, unexpected results are very possible :)

Heck, I might try a new piece if I can find that poster paint!

Back