The Ghost of Holland Woods

Another painting of a doll I bought at the Goodwill. Ok...that's it.

Attachments

• received_210509736132698.jpeg
    received_210509736132698.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 99
Thank you. I kind of like the dark feel sometimes. But every now and then before I go to sleep I have this uncanny urge to maybe throw a sheet over these dolls. Too much Stephen King (lol).

The guy sitting in the chair is one excellent painting Kat. It truly is good. It has an excellent technique I think you should explore more. IMO. It's just so exciting to me. ♥️

I think it's a good sketch, but I agree that it need a lot more contrast. Use a softer pencil on it now. Or try to?

I think it's a good sketch, but I agree that it need a lot more contrast. Use a softer pencil on it now. Or try to?
Thanks. Good idea. Don't want to press too hard. I have a lot of drawings that need the same thing. Give them new life.

Someone told me once that you don't want your frame to have to compete with your drawing. I have to think about that.

Sometimes I walk thru old graveyards that have those beautiful old statues and monuments. I take pictures of the anheld and it is easy to walk around them to get the best angle for shadows. The older and mossier they are, the better. Again, the perfect models. They can sit forever. Also, it seems like the trees are more beautiful in old cemetaries. Bonaventure cemetery in the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is a good place to take your camera. Not to mention anyplace in New Orleans.

Your pencil drawings are lovely but as you said, they need more contrast. I had the same problem when I first worked in graphite. Everyone told me to push my darks but no one told me how.

What type of pencil do you use? Each pencil hardness has a limit as to how dark it will go. For example, you won't get as dark a black with a 2H as you will with a 6B. My favorite for deep darks is my old Sanford Design Ebony. I think Prismacolor bought out Sanford so they are marketed now as Prismacolor Ebony.

Another thing you have to consider is your paper. If the paper is too smooth, you can have problems getting a deep black. Experiment with different papers to see what works best for you.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Great advice. I'm afraid I'm a doodler. I reach for whatever is on hand, basic #2s. I did but a set of pencils once, for artists. I'll have to create a value chart as they have all been tossed together in some drawer or box. Maybe if I decide to get a little more serious I might decide to get a little more organized.

Got it! You are a very talented doodler. The important thing is to have fun.

That was what I meant by a softer pencil. The Bs are softer (darker), whereas the Hs are harder (lighter).

Back